Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma 150 won't start - catches then dies

RedCat7

Catches for a split second then does straight away. Car was last put away running great after the Oulton Park Trackday but was wet. I thought it might be out of fuel but have added 15l without any improvement.

Homestart guy changed the spark plugs (because they were black and the gap looked large to him and my corner shop is a motor factors). We then found that it would run on 3 cylinders when the HT lead 1 or 2 was disconnected but as soon as it was reconnected the engine would die.

Tried disconnecting a reconnecting a few sensors. Homestart guy has never seen anything like it before but suspects duff sensor. Tried disconnecting a reconnecting a few sensors but to no avail. Opening the throttles doesn't help, just created a few back fires.

Anyone got any ideas to try please? My next step was to get an MBE diagnostic cable.

I am no master, but assuming it runs on 3 three regardless if it's 1 or 2 that's disconnected, the it might be a connection to the coil pack / coil pack or plug leads. It's wasted spark, ie two plugs are fired at the same time, but it can't power both plugs, so when both plugs are connected the sparks are to weak. Once only one plug is connected the single plug is strong enough.

I may be wrong - I only really know the K Series setup - but I thought in a wasted spark system both plugs were is series at either end of the coil secondary, so removing one plug will prevent the other from sparking rather than making it spark more strongly as the circuit is broken. Suggests to me that somehow either of those cylinders firing kills the engine, so maybe somehow they are being fired at grossly wrong (advanced?) timing?

Thanks for you thoughts chaps. Just been out for more experimenting. I can get to run (just) on any 3 cylinders but only with throttles closed. Dies as soon as you try any pedal. Doesn't really want to run on 2 but on the one occasion it did it sounded like it was running on 2 rather than 3.

Jim

Just has a look at the circuit diagram, and agree that disconnecting one plug kills two cylinders. I suspect the fact it dies as soon as the throttle is touched might suggest a throttle pot / position problem. Does the build manual give any throttle pot reference readings (volts or ohms) that you can check?

TPS seems to be set and working fine. I measured TPS reading as 1.00v closed throttle, 4.56v fully open. A BC search suggested that 1.03v is optimum. It only took half a turn of the idle screw to raise the reading to 1.03v but that had no effect on the problem.

Crank sensor connector and cable looks ok, is dry and is connected securely. The Homestart chap ran the engine on 3 cylinders with the HT lead connected to one of the old spark plugs, earthed on the outside of the block. We could see the frequency of spark stepping up as soon as the engine caught, suggesting the crank sensor is working.

Hi Jim

You are welcome to use my MBE connector if needed.

Unlikely to be the Lambda as that does nothing until the engine is up to temp. On a sigma disconnecting it will again do nothing until up to temp and then it will not run unlike the K series.

I also have a spare coil pack if you want to try swapping that.

John

It lives *biggrin*. John Hughes lent me a spare MAP sensor (amongst other goodies) and as soon as I tried it the problem was solved.

I hear that originally the MAP sensors on sigma 150's were used to measure load instead of the TPS but nowadays they are disconnected and just measured ambient air pressure. The mounting of the sensor hasn't changed though. It is mounted with the nipple pointing upwards but with no hose attached. So I reckon rain water dribbled in through the bonnet louvers and down into the nipple. Needs a little hose fitted and bent over in a loop so the end points down.

Nice warm evening last night so I was very pleased to get in what might be my last Blat before winter really kicks in.

Thanks for all the advice gents and to John for the bits and pieces. I'll definitely have some fun playing with the MBE connector before I bring you that back!

Mine failed after about 6 months, I was on my way to a GTKY7 day at Caterham Midlands when the thing just stopped. I turned up on the back of a recovery truck. Nick Potter eventually got mine going by pinching a MAP sensor from a new car in stock. I was tempted to advise Jim but when mine failed it would not even catch never mind run for a few seconds so I assumed it was a different fault. Well done John, a handy piece of kit to have. *thumbup*

Goof to hear it's all sorted

Same problem on Sigma 140 Supersports as the MAP sensor is not connected to the throttle body but open to atmosphere. A piece of tube looped over works fine as long as not allowed to kink shut.

MAP sensors are available on eBay for less than £15