Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator Springs

Bob_C

The standard Caterham radiator on Bluebell, my Sigma 150 SV, started to leak slowly a while back. It was the classic gradual failure of the crimped join between the plastic top and the aluminium matrix. This resulted with a couple of unplanned stops to top up. Rather than wait for the inevitable collapse in a cloud of steam, and spurred on by the article in the July 2012 Low Flying, I bit the bullet and ordered one of Radtech's finest through Carl at SevenSpeed. He was enormously helpful on the 'phone.

The (very smart and beautifully engineered) radiator arrived 11 days later. At Carl's suggestion, I went for the bigger fan and didn't muck around thinking I could refit the old one. Taking out the old radiator and ally fan cowling on the old one was more tricky than fitting the new one. The whole job was done in a little over two hours. So, it was all as straightforward as predicted and looks superb.

I did around 100m today and it quickly settled around 80 degrees. So, I am well happy! Picture here.

Bob C