Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec dry sump oil temp connection ...

R400C

Quite a few semi related threads but still haven't found a full answer ...

I would like to connect the pre-fitted oil temp sender at the bottom of the dry sump tank to the illusive black/yellow (signal) and black (earth) spade terminals somewhere in the loom. I have the Caterham supplied R400 extension wire(s) (about 40 cm long) but am not sure where to connect them in the engine bay.

The most likely point is a single spade terminal located on the loom immediately below the air intake plenum, but it appears to have both the black/yellow and black crimped into it.

Is there another point where I will find both a black/yellow terminal and a black terminal ready to connect to, or do I need to cut the black free at the point I have found and crimp on another terminal on the black?

My thoughts were that the black/yellow and black wires could have been crimped together to make sure that, without the sender attached, the stack display reads 0 degrees rather than 999, but guessing is always dangerous! Any help or a thread recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

*idea* As a second thought, if anyone with a Stack dash car (and a working oil temp display!) is able to take a quick look and let me know where the sensor wire runs to, it might provide a clue. A photo would be even better if anyone has one ...

Alternatively, can anyone recommend someone at the factory or in service that I could phone to ask? Is there a build helpline? I'm understandably reluctant to start snipping wires without full guidance

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Hmm. Interesting. I looked at my late 2009 R400 dry sump tank temp sensor wiring. The is a black/yellow, black pair connected to the temp sensor. This cable traces back to the main loom at a branch where the lights also branch. This is NOT a separate sub loom connected back to the wires near the air intake.

If I look at the R400 main dash wiring diagram it shows the temp sensor branching off the loom with a label of B 6 / BY 161.

If I look at the stack dash loom diagram I see that there is a similar branch labelled B 6 / BY 170.

Looking under the plenum I have two pairs of blade connections:

Brown / Black, White / Black

Black / Yellow, Black

Neither are connected - just tied out of the way. I can't see either of these are on the R400 diagrams

I seem to remember that the loom changed around that time and the diagram in the build manual was out of date.

Perhaps call / email Sean Cummerson at seanc@caterham.co.uk. He was super helpful during my build.

Good luck

Andy

The dry sump installation addendum to the build manual says:

"If a stack dash is fitted, the oil temperature sensor on the oil tank should be plugged into the loom. (If the loom is too short an extension loom may be required)."

That's great info. At least that eliminates the spade connectors that I had found under the plenum (exactly as you describe them above). I'll take another look near where the lights branch from the loom and call Sean as you suggest.

Thanks to both you and Pat for the diagram.

Sorted. The spade terminals were actually tie wrapped all the way back below the air filter just in front of the bulkhead!

With A couple of tie wraps removed, the short wires reach the left hand side of the engine bay and then the Caterham supplied R400 temp sender loom extension is required to reach the sender at the bottom of the dry sump tank.

The most amazing part is that the 5 year old sender that has never been connected works perfectly! So I now have a spare stack sender on the shelf which can't be a bad thing.

Can anyone now advise me on the normal operating temps for oil in the bottom of the dry sump tank? I'm guessing it will be 10-15 degrees below peak circulation temp so maybe 80-100 norm and max 105?