Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ali Trolley Jack service Kit -any ideas

GF04RCE

Hi, Many moons ago there was a great BC bulk buy for Ali trolley jacks. It has been a great jack and served me well, but has started leaking fluid.

Has anyone found a suitable service kit to replace the seals etc. to prolong the life of my trusty friend...? *smile* or is it 'so long and thanks for all the lifts' ...

David M

If the Alli jack is the same as the Machine Mart unit then a refurb kit is available or was as i re sealed my M Mart unit after it blew the seals trying to jack the rear corner on a road car *evil*

Could not believe the crap not fit for purpose machining on the cylinder inside the unit *thumbdown*

There should be some hydraulic seals manufacturing companies around, they should sell all the standard metric and imperial sizes off the shelf.

You need to strip it and measure the hardware sizes, shaft size, bore size, groove width size.

Contact them and they should supply no problem, if its a odd size then they should make them up to your size that's required.

I get all my AVO, Bilstein, and Gaz shock seals CNC made to size for about 2 pounds each.

Some of the cheaper type ( far East ) only have O rings as seals, if you where closer I would repair it for 15 pounds.

When you top the oil up use something like 10w hydraulic oil or ATF oil, even motor cycle fork oil 2 1/2W or 5w is good,.

Engine oil is to thick and it will pump very slow.

Chris.

I have now stripped it and learnt a few lessons along the way.

There are two standard looking O rings just need to confirm the size. You just have to unscrew the main piston assembly and pull out the piston. You may also need to remove the fluid filler screw to release the pressure, its the one on the back next to the spring.

Once you have pulled out the piston the o rings are easy to replace and are clearly deteriorating. I also undid everything else, my advice... dont ballbearings and springs a plenty. I think i have them back together in the right order but wont know until i complete and test.

Don't release the big spring on the back, as its lots of fun getting it back together eek....

Anyway as to refurb, it should just be two o rings...

What i am not sure of is how much fluid to refill it with and if i will need to refill it with the piston in or out... if you have a view on this it would really help...

I will come back with the O ring sizes when i find out...

From an old thread:

Jack Seal Replacement Procedure

Parts required.

2 large O ring seals, 1 small O ring seal, a container to catch the oil, a tray for the parts absorbent paper such as kitchen roll, a container of Jack Oil (Comma do a specific oil for hydraulic jacks) and a pair of rubber gloves.

To replace the seals you need to remove the oil reservoir/pump from the body of the jack.

• Place the jack on a bench, stand or table to make it easier to work on. Have a container available to pour the old jack oil into. Have a tray available to place the parts on to as you remove them.

• Ensure that the jack won’t fall off as they are heavy items.

• Working with the jack on its side

• Remove the split pin that secures the pump piston to the lifting arm

• Remove the 2 springs on the underside of the jack complete with the 4 securing cap head set screws

• Slacken one of the 26mm nylock nuts by ½ turn

• On the same side slacken the all but the front roller cap head bolts by a couple of turns. This will allow the oil reservoir/pump to be slid from the jack more easily

• Remove the 4 oil reservoir/pump securing cap head bolts completely together with the lock washers.

• Carefully turn the jack on to its other side and remove the 4 oil reservoir/pump securing cap head bolts on this side and ease the oil reservoir/pump out of the jack.

• Clean the oil reservoir/pump of oil and dirt.

• If possible secure the oil reservoir unit in a vice with the lifting arm piston pointing upward.

• You now need to remove the outer cover to the piston. This is in 2 parts

• Use a large adjustable spanner on the 2 flats unscrew and remove the top part of the cover. This is a normal right-hand thread. It will be tight but it will undo if you apply enough force!!

• Remove the lower part of the cover. This is just a sleeve and will lift off.

• You will now see the piston and you can now pull the piston out of the bore.

However the hydraulic seals will make it quite hard despite the existing seals being worn! So you need to allow air to get into the oil reservoir to make it easier. This can be achieved by the following:-

• Looking at the oil reservoir/pump unit you will see that there are 2 screw caps in the reservoir.

• Remove the one on the side with the piston & spring. (the fill hole) You will need to remove this making sure that the rubber seals stay in place on the screw caps. At this point the existing oil will escape through this hole.

• Pull the piston from the bore.

Be aware that there will be a deal of oil present that may splatter so eye protection is recommended.

You should now have the piston in your hand.

You will see the 2 outer O rings and by looking down the bore in the piston you will see the small O ring in a groove just inside.

At this point note that one of the outer O rings has a thin plastic washer in place. Note down which side of the O ring that the plastic washer goes. Make sure that you leave this in place and that its stays on the correct side when you reassemble the new O rings on to the piston.

• Using a thin screwdriver remove the outer O rings and fit the new ones.

• Next remove the small O ring from the piston inner bore and replace it with the new one.

This is a bit of a fiddle. Don’t be tempted to skip replacing the small O ring!

• Generously lubricate the new O rings (Inner and outer) with rubber grease or jack oil if you don’t have rubber grease and carefully work the piston back into the bore. Take your time. Providing that you have the piston square to the body it will pop back with a little pressure. It should only require hand pressure!!

With the piston pushed fully home fill the reservoir with new jack oil and replace the inner and outer filler plugs

Reassembly is as they say a reverse of the above.

Pump the jack 3 or 4 times and you will get pressure into the system and then top up again.