Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tires for S3 R300 Superlight

ZED02

Hi,

I'm driving an R300 Superlight S3 with K-engine from 2004 currently equiped with AVON CR500 13" tires. Could someone tell me if, as some may say, I should look for AVON ZZR tires or remain with the CR500 tires? I'm using my car 80% on the track and 20% on the road. Subsidiary question: where should I buy my new tires for the best price between Folkstone and London?

Thanks for your feedback.

• Area Representative

If you want CR500 or ZZR tyres then Caterham factory at Dartford is the only supplier near London. As for track use, it depends on whether you use them in the rain I suppose. I would have thought the ZZRs would be a handful in the wet but I am sure someone will be along in a minute to blow that theory by saying the opposite. For all round use I would say stick to the CR500, for dry track use then ZZR. It would be best to order them in advance from Caterham and check they are in stock by phone and collect.

Nick

If you are doing most of the mileage on the track then if you can afford to get an extra set of wheels and some track day tyres. Toyo's or Yokohama's . I have the same car as you and only use the CR500's on the road and if its very wet on track.

Cheers

Rhys

On track the AO48s last better than CR500s. I have no idea about tramlining on the road. I wouldn't want old AO48s in the rain. We're limited to 3 sea of tyres per year for racing. One set will be kept until the last round for fear of rain.

The AO48s offer more grip in the dry, although I think are less progressive than CR500s at the limit. New CR500s are falling apart on track though. If you're not going to drive it in the rain, then go for ZZRs.

Jez

Edited by - Z3MCJez on 9 Aug 2013 00:45:38

Thanks for the useful comments/replies, guys! Going through all of them, I think I will stick to the AVON CR500 and/or consider buying some extra wheels to put the ZZR only for dry track use. But another question arises: which "value for money" track wheels should I buy, and where? *smile* *confused* *rolleyes*