Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powder coating - Aylesbury

Rampmonkey

Guess what? Front end rebuild! Anyone recommend somewhere to get wishbones etc powder coated? I'm in Aylesbury but open to bit of a wander!

Ps any tips on refitting bushes? I'm guessing bolts, washers and a liberal dousing of washing up liquid!

Here's to making the most of rainy days! 😬

Bushes have steel outer sleeve so washing up liquid will make no difference whatsoever.

I got a colleague to turn me up some bits, a deep cup and stepped washer and used an m12 length of studding to pull out the old and push in the new. Basically a custom version of the socket and washers.

It wasn't easy and I needed liberal quantities of copaslip on the bearing surfaces under the nuts.

Why not give Bruce at Arch a call and ask him how much to blast, coat and fit new bushes?

They'll come back looking like new and no risk of diy tooling slipping and damaging your new finsh.

Phil B

• Area Representative

"Powder coating - Aylesbury"

That'll take a lot of powder 😬

I've successfully completed the job using a bolt and sockets. Needed to tighten and then hit bolt with hammer before tightening a little more and repeat - several times.

Not me that'll be working the press! 😬

My trusty 4" vice succeeded in bending 2 half inch bolts with washers this afternoon. Those buggers ain't shifting without a fight! From what I've read in the archives, it can be a hit and miss job; if you're lucky, it's easy. If not..... *eek*

Edit - for the record, I've changed bushes on lots of vehicles over the years and never had some as stubborn as these!

Edited by - Rampmonkey on 30 Jul 2013 21:58:53

Used these guys for a few bits and have been great for price, speed and as far as I can tell quality.

They have a large booth for blasting as we'll. Also found out my garden railings were coated there ...so can do small to large jobs. Last time I was there they had a few cages in for coating.

The added benefit that they have a metal polisher on site aswell so if you want your exhaust done they can do that *thumbup*

here

Should have said they are in High Wycombe so not far from Aylesbury *smile*

Edited by - MereCat on 31 Jul 2013 08:29:53

Quoting Rampmonkey: 
Guess what? Front end rebuild! Anyone recommend somewhere to get wishbones etc powder coated? I'm in Aylesbury but open to bit of a wander!

Ps any tips on refitting bushes? I'm guessing bolts, washers and a liberal dousing of washing up liquid!

Here's to making the most of rainy days! 😬

RIGHT! THERE ARE TWO BILSTIEN SHOCKS ABOUT TO GO THROUGH THE GARAGE WINDOW!

Can I refit the rubber bushes? Yes.

Can I refit the bolt collars that pass through the bushes? Yes.

Can I refit the bushes with the collars in place? NOT A F@£$ CHANCE!

Can I refit the collars once the bushes are in place? As above.

I am very close to losing it. A simple front end refurb has taken over a week and frankly it's getting more than a little frustrating. With wish bone bushes that wouldn't come out (even with a ten ton press - see how the wish bone bends....) to shock bushes that are seemingly impossibly tight to refit.

I KNOW I've got the right bits - part numbers are correct etc. I just can't get this lot back together. Am I missing something here? Anyone got any tips or ideas? I've done this job so many times on other makes of car but never encountered such a pain in the 🙆🏻 job as this!

Having had the night to cool down a bit....

It's the inner sleeves Mark. I can get them into the new bushes, no problem. What I can't then do is get the bushes into the shocks. I need some means of getting full circumference compression before I try to push the bushes into place.

If I try to fit the sleeves AFTER I've put the bushes into the shocks (Also dead easy!) the center of the bush is 5mm too small for the sleeve.

I'm sure this is going to come down to technique or something! I'm in the motor club shed this afternoon and have access to hydraulic press.... *confused*

Tip for bushes:

Burn them out and cut the outer metal sleeve with hacksaw.

Juditious use of blowlamp allows this to be done without damaging powdercoating.

Cleaned up housings and a dab of faxene grease and the new bushes will press in reasonably easily, certainly in scope of a 4" vice.

Peter

Eventually got the wish bone bushes out, but WHAT A FIGHT! *rolleyes*

I'm hoping the refit will be easier as the new wishbone bushes have a rounded off shape to them. Fingers crossed. 😬

The shock bushes are more frustrating than anything else - what seems so easy is a right pain!

The joys of hobby car maintenance. 😬

Right then, for the purposes of closure and for anyone searching for a similar answer.....

Cracked it! 😬

Solution -

1. Insert the bush into the shock to about 1/3

2. Fit the sleeve into the remaining 2/3 of the bush

3. Apply a liberal dose of washing up liquid

4. Compress the whole bundle in a vice or press

5. Use a suitable sized socket (app 23mm) to drift the remaining bush into place and even it out.

Lord knows, that's a simple solution that was difficult to arrive at! Maybe my aptitude for mechanical problem solving has dropped off considerably now I'm office bound....

Many thanks for all replies!

PS Mark - Just got to reassemble and bleed the brakes and then I'm hitting the road. *wavey*