Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dashboard switches - not illuminated

Quoting Stridey: 
If you can stand cheesey American adverts... 'Light Dims' !

I have a set of sample filters from a theatre lighting supplier (picked up in the '80s!) which I use for cutting down light levels from irritating LEDs. My HP Microserver has a massive blue HP logo for a status indicator. A little bit of red filter has cut this down to almost nothing, yet will allow the 'warning' colours to show through.

Back to John Aston's comment about the 'econometer' - is this in the speedo or the tacho? There might be a suitable way of stopping it at source.

Nice diagram, Andrew.

Mental models are crucial in ergonomics. The selector for the electric windows on my Espace controls Left-Null-Right. I still turn it the wrong way because my model is 10 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock. And theirs is 8 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 4 o'clock. The picture on it shows their view, but mental models beat instructional pictures.

Jonathan

• 9 years later...
On 04/09/2014 at 08:02, john aston said:

Driving my 2007 Seven at night the other day I was reminded how much irritates; not only the random lighting of some switches but the counter-intuitive 'dip switch' and the stupidly bright shift lights. On my car and presumably lots of others there is a green light which stays on constantly at less than 3500rpm- the 'econometer' or whatever- which is stupidly bright, if not as bad as the main beam light , which is stronger than the bloody headlights and which I have now taped over as it was so distracting . Little things but really.....

reading this ten years later, I can confirm that his old car still has the same problem. I still have tape over the high beam (which was indeed useless) and I'm planning on figuring out the stupid 'econometer' shift light now I have the scuttle off.

I think the 'econometer' is a warning on the ACES to say your revs are too low and you should shift down

Edited by graearea
  • Like 1