Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Worst case scenario...

MikeMolloy

Question that has been bothering me:

Consider that you drive to an event.

What happens if you then have an unfortunate shunt that renders the car immobile? *confused*

(I guess with Se7en events there is likely to be a good Samaritan with a trailer who could help out, but assuming this isn't the case...)

Do the organisers just drag the wreckage to the entrance and dump it at the road side?

I know my RAC cover does not provide for any vehicle recovery following an accident.

Anybody thought out a viable contingency plan?

Edited by - fred gassit on 24 Jul 2013 09:43:45

The club carry some spares and there are plenty of competitors with sufficient expertise to assist with repairs. However, if the car is damaged and cannot be repaired in the paddock then we will do our best to find a way of getting you home. I can only recall this happening once in the past 7 years when the car was trailered due to a mechanical fault and the competitor was loaned another competitors 7 to drive home.

I know that I've a standing agreement with a few competing friends who live in my region and drive that if worst comes to the worst there's goes on my trailer and i'd trust them with mine.

from past experience it's mainly mechanical issues which let you down, normally ones which would have been evident at the side of the road when doing some serious blatting.

Quoting Fred Gassit: 
Question that has been bothering me:

Do the organisers just drag the wreckage to the entrance and dump it at the road side?

No.

My shunt at Anglesey took me off to hospital. Other competitors arranged getting the car onto the trailer (not easy on 3 wheels 😶‍🌫️).

The organisers could not have been more helpful in securing 7, trailer and tow car in a locked pit garage overnight. They then arranged access for me to the circuit the following day to collect.

In the situation of not having a trailer, as Mark says, people will pull out the stops to get you home