Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rolex Deepsea

k8rum

I believe the difference between Sea Dweller and Submariner is the Sea Dweller has a Helium relief Valve to let expanded gas escape from the inside of the watch during decompression, aimed at the commercial oil (saturation) Divers during the late 70's and Eighties.

Helium molecules will seep through metal given enough time!

The Submariner does not need the valve as Submariners retain the subs at pretty much atmospheric pressure.

So how do I know? well a clue is "I have never been in a Submarine" but have been in a commercial Saturation system" 😬

Steve B - thanks but no thank you 😶‍🌫️

I already have an Omega sea master Americas cup.

Dave- you are right about the difference between the two but in fact there is also the Deepsea.

This is the one I am looking for.

Nothing else unless a sub comes up at the right money.

Cheers

Guy

@ Belper Cat

Not quite true...

They are both divers watches... Nothing to do with submarines..

Helium does not penetrate the metal, it seeps in through the elastomer seals on the back and crystal...

The reasons the Sea Dweller came about is precisely because commercial helium divers experienced the crystals blowing off "normal" submariners on decompression after a long time in sat...

The "relief" valve is a one way check valve that allows the venting off of the helium during decompression.. ie it allows pressure to go from inside out not outside in.

The Deepsea is the newer replacement for the now discontinued 16600 Sea Dweller...

Edited for removal of iSpeak etc

Edited by - Neil66 on 17 Jun 2013 22:52:34

Most of the divers I worked with stopped using their Rolex Sea Dwellers and replaced them with cheap Casios and the like for work. The large stainless body of the Rolex was uncomfortable under the cuff of a hot water suit and also used to create a burn mark on your wrist from the hot water. The small digital watches had other advantages too, like you could read the time using it’s light rather than having to hold your wrist out and use your hat light. The dive supervisors always took the piss when you were caught on your hat mounted camera looking at the time during a bell run. The digital watches mostly coped fine with saturation decompression but if the face did lift it was a simple matter to push it back in again. I have seen a couple of Rolex’s pop during decompression when people forgot to open the winder.

Jim

Jim

Quite right, I did own a Submariner but it didn't keep good time, in fact rubbish *thumbdown*

I spent most of my working life in the North Sea with a Sieko (pepsi) divers watch which had a rubber strap. BTW Hot water suits were very unreliable and froze your nuts off more times than burnt you 😬

Have an Omega Bond Watch now which seems ok over last 12 years *thumbup*

But still have trusty Sieko which joins me each year on our trip to the Indian Ocean.

DJ