Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Won't start

Lost Boy

Is there anyone local to Letaherhead available tomorrow? I think I may have the click of death and have a trackday planned next weekend so am panicking big time. Last weekend the car did it and it was a blown fuse on the ecu, then it was fine but now I just get the click, fuel pump noise etc but nothing, really need someone who's an electrical whizz. Please help!

Thanks

What's the voltage across the battery at rest with ignition on, and when trying to crank?

What else has been done to the car recently?

If it needs the relay modification are you going to do it yourself or are you asking for someone to come and help?

Jonathan

Battery is fine, new this year and have tested with another battery, fuse is now 30A, gonna try fly lead from battery to starter to see if will turn over and then if the is spark and fuel. If anyone is about this afternoon, any help appreciated, especially anyone with perhaps a spare super sport EU2 k series ECU, just in car it's the ECU...

Thanks

Are you able to bump start the car? That would prove the ECU is ok (providing the battery is good enough.)

I have an EU2 SS MEMS ECU and SAS immobiliser you could borrow, but you'd need to collect it as I'm busy today I'm afraid. I'm close to M4 J10 if that helps.

Lazierbrain, thanks for Ethernet offer I may take you up on that later, I'll have a go at bumping it shortly, just waiting for some muscle to help with the hill on the drive!

I'll come back to you later if that's ok?

The infamous "click" is generally associated with attempting a hot start. Were you getting this problem previously, and now its just reached the point of not starting at all? (i.e. sometimes getting a click between trackday sessions, or at a petrol station, but OK when cooled down or with a bump start?)

Lots of info here about the relay mod, replacing the solonoid wire, re-soldering the tab on the solonoid (that last one finally fixed my problems after trying the other fixes with temporary success).

FIA switches can also cause problems (got one of those?) but easy to work around by re-wiring.

I am fairly local, but not any sort of genius. I'd say

1) try a bump start, and report back.

2) try replacing the solonoid wire (that fits onto the tab on the solonoid) and also try (carefully) dabbing the other end onto the battery.

[Andy Belcher (Tech 7) is in Redhill, and he'll be able to fix it]