Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU Choice

Barbarossa.

I think the golden rule here is to pick whatever your tuner is happy with. After all it is him that will have to work it. All the aftermarket ECUs can do pretty much the same, and all are more than capable of running our very simple setups.

Lots of people on here run Emeralds, and if you have a EU2 car it will be very easy to install (plug-n-play). Personally I bought an Omex (as recommended by my tuner), and based on my talks with the Omex guys they seem very friendly and willing to help.

Back up should be your primary concern.

Northampton motorsport will be replacing the Pectel ECU in my car with a life racing unit soon.

Why? Because if I have a problem, even a suspected sensor down, and I contact the Pectel dealer, they will say OK, take the engine out, bring it to us, and we'll put it on the dyno. I could have a software copy if I am prepared to pay both arms and legs, but I am not.

Life racing are entirely different, and Northampton motorsport are a dealer. I can have a copy of the software, and using team viewer or similar can have them look at any problems as long as I can get the car and laptop to an internet connection.

Both are top quality ECU's, the difference is in attitude/support.

Yes I'm sorry, should have also pointed out that a Pectel or Life Racing unit would be OTT for the rover engine.

The Emerald or Omex will be fine, I was just pointing out that after sales service is the most important factor after ensuring your choice will do the job in the first place.