Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing tintop air conditioning condenser

Roger Ford

Garage that's servicing SWMBO's "disaster area" Citroen Berlingo have just called to say that the air con condenser is leaking, and they want £450 to replace it. At that price, she'll just have to open the windows instead.

I see I can get one from Euro Car Parts for £150 - any big difficulty in fitting it? Presumably I'll have to get the system re-gassed afterwards, but presumably that needn't be that expensive.

Hi Roger just needed to do this on OHs Ford KA. I was actually changing the heater Matrix but in Fords wisdom the matrix was placed directly behind the condenser in an awkward hatch in the bulkhead..............hence a complete aircon stripdown *rolleyes*

I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs but my biggest problem was understanding how the springs worked on the joints......once you realise this you are OK.

Fords supply a seal breaker on the pipes but I couldn't fathom it. I called a local automotive supplier for a seal breaker but they had none in stock.......however the chap told me what the spring was like. It is simply a soft coil spring ring that locks into a groove on the pipe. After a head scrath I got some very thin plastic (I ended up using that thin perspex that slots into the front of my toolbox draws to keep the card clean that you can write what's in the draws). I wrapped that around pipe and pushed it into spring...........that eased the spring out of slot and with a bit of a pull I was relieved to see pipe release, I had to crack 4 pipes 😔.

I obviously did this after releasing gas via the 2 Schraeder valves. Rebuild was easy as you'd expect.

As an poster above said I was going to lube seals and walked up to my local garage who recharge systems to get some proper lube.............they said "don't use any" *confused*

So I snapped them all back as they were and took it for the the re-gas......£35.

All is well.

Good luck.

The condenser is mounted in front of the radiator. In the grill area.

The evaporator is mounted behind the heater matrix. In the dash.

Glad to hear someone's helping protect the environment by just releasing R134a into the atmosphere!

It does make me wander why engineers bother obtaining a licence to carry out these procedures.

Glad to hear someone's helping protect the environment by just releasing R134a into the atmosphere

I took the car to the local garage a mate runs...........400 metres away where I enquired about them doing the heater matrix change as I had other things on. They were a bit busy and advised it would be quite expensive for what it was............they are good lads and confirmed aircon needed to be split to gain access to matrix............something they knew that I can do for myself.

They degassed it for me,I did the job at home and then they regassed when I'd finished.

Hideous having to explain yourself though. I'll admit I'd not have thought twice about venting it in my garage if the guys hadn't have offered this helping hand.

As I didn't think there was anything wrong with that (and it was what I was going to do) I was just mentioning that the 2 valves released the gas in case the OP wasn't aware of them (Which I'm sure Roger was)

It was the lads in the garage who I'm good friends with who offered this as a helping hand when they realised the job I had to do. I thought Roger was contemplating doing this at home and was just relating to him that the stripdown itself is a doddle................no need to apologise, maybe I should have gone into even more warts and all detail.