Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wheel oil leak

Neil7W

Sorry in advance if this is a simple question. I have a 1999 7 with an Ital live axle. Towards the end of a long run yesterday there was a noise coming from the rear passenger wheel which I put down to the hand brake not releasing properly causing the brake to bind, as has happened before. However, this morning I noticed a small pool of oil on the garage floor. Taking the wheel off, the inside of the rear wheel is covered in oil as is the rear wheel arch which is where the oil had been dripping from. Obviously the oil has been flung around as the wheel has been spinning. I say oil, I'm fairly certain it isn't brake fluid as it's very black, the brake fluid reservoir is full and I didn't notice a lack of pressure in the peddle. Taking the hub off reveals more fluid.

Is this a half shaft problem?

Simple fix.

there is two different shaft sizes used over the years, if in doubt get both sizes the seals are only a couple of quid each.

while changing 1 you might as well swap both.

Assuming this is somethingyou have not done before. Take photo's before you disassemble each stage, (Helps when reassembling)

you will need :-

Shaft oil seals (Pair of)

Gasket sealant

Brake Fluid.

Diff Oil

Set of Brake Shoes

1. Jack Rear end up

2. Remove drums & brake shoes

3. Disconnect brake pipe on both sides & bag up

4. Disconnect Hand Brake

5. Place catch bole underneath.

6. Remove the four bolts holding the brake plate for the axle

7. The Axle Assemble should now withdraw (with a bit of persuasion)

8. remove the oil seal (Hook behind with a spanner and it will prise out)

9. Clean oil seal mount.

10. push oil seal into place.

11. Dry Bearing Off

12. regrease bearing

13. Smear of Sealant onto axle flange face.

14. slide shaft back into place

15. Reassemble handbrake, brake shoes and brake pipe

16. Repeat for other side

17. Refill Diff with Diff Oil

18. Bleed Brakes

Edited by - CaterBram on 6 May 2013 19:58:07

Thanks again for this and the step by step guide, no I haven't done it before. Quick question, I presume the seal needing replacing is on the hub end of the half shaft rather than diff end. In which case I take it that the half shaft doesn't have to be removed? Do I take it that the gasket sealant is for the outside of the seal?

Sounds like a job I should be able to do, as long as I can identify the various parts.

Is there a reason for changing the brake shoes, other than as I have it apart I may as well?

Thanks again for your help.

Yes the seal is on the hub end, hence why the half shaft assembly (Half shaft, bearing, backplate etc )needs removing as it runs through the seal.

the gasket sealant goes onto the shaft flange to seal onto the brake backplate.

Changing the brakeshoes is a wise move as odd's on they have been contaminated by diff oil and won't brake when you need to. !!! Make sure you clean off any diff oil from the inside of the brake drum and abrade with suitable abrasive to allow the new shoes to bed in.

Arh, would I be right in assuming I have to pull the whole half shaft out through the old seal, replace the seal and slide the half shaft back through reconnecting to the diff?

PS just thought on you might not know how to refill the diff,

remove boot floor

Remove oil vent & pipe from to of diff casing.

Check if you have 1 or 2 oil level plugs on rear of diff casing

If 1 then remove plug, refill through vent until oil just starts to come out, refit oil plug, then add 1/2 litre

if 2 plugs then remove upper plug, refill through vent until oil just starts to come out then refit oil plug.

Refit oil vent pipe

Refit boot floor.

Edited by - CaterBram on 6 May 2013 21:45:58

You're right, I hadn't thought on about refilling the diff, great advise, can't see a workshop manual getting close. I'll get the parts ordered today and have a go at the weekend.

All in half an hour, I think I'll put a day aside!

Thanks again. *thumbup*

• 2 weeks later...

Again I apologise for having to have this spelt out. I have followed CaterBram's step by step guide up to and including point 6. However, the axle doesn't want to budge. Is it just splines on the end of the axle that slot tight into the diff? i.e. I'm just trying to break a tight fit and it should pop out? Just want to check I'm not missing something obvious before I ratchet up the force and break something! Any advise on how best to apply the force?

Yep, just 'stiction' on the splines, and the bearing probably.

Some do 'glue' the bearing in place as they can 'slip' so you may have that to overcome as well.

Just need a bit of 'force'...

😬

Yes, no problem there.

The difficulty is directing the force from behind to extract the axle out. I have tried to reattach the outer brake hub backwards which gives a good hand hold but very little opportunity to get a good wack to try and break it free. Really need a hub puller type tool to be able to wind on the pressure gradually.

I work away in the week and away this weekend but home tonight, so I'll have another go tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Know what you mean. To some degree I have that by inverting the outer hub, resiting on the wheel studs and loosely putting the wheel nuts on acting as a stopper and pulling the outer hub forwards, stopping on the wheel nuts giving the shock. I'll be more forceful.

When brut force is required call in the teenagers! Off in two minutes. *smile*

However, the bearing is obviously knackered, by the looks this requires the hub to be removed, so wheel bearings will have to be ordered and the job finished next weekend.