Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - Unidentified freezer - why is it beeping?

myothercarsa2cv

I have no idea what freezer I have and I can't find any numbers or stickers on it, so I suspect they're on the back and as it's built in it's not worth my marriage trying to find out *wink*

Anyway, it's developed an annoying beep and flash - I assume to tell me it's not cold enough. It's on max, and the beeping stops when I press "Super", although it keeps flashing. Everything appears to be well frozen, so I'm not worried yet about the food, but it is irritating as sometimes the "Super" function runs out in the night and I have to go and press it again.

Tried switching it off at the wall, leaving it for a while and turning it back on again to no avail.

Any ideas? It's a pile of crap, but I really don't want to have to replace it having just bought a new boiler... *eek*

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 30 Apr 2013 20:54:02

Pics as requested...

here

here

Door removed for your viewing pleasure...

Doubt it's a Bosch, I can't believe the last owners would have spent that much on it. Given the makes of the washing machine are now bust, and the boiler they fitted was end of line when they bought it, I suspect it's a crappy brand.

Seals seem fine, got a good suction on it. Food is still very frozen *confused*

Popped the thermometer in the freezer at about 10pm... After 45mins it showed -6 and 1hr45 later, it is showing -15. I'm going to leave it overnight and check in the morning, but that doesn't sound like a disaster to me. Will let you know in the morning. No idea how to check the compressor, hope it's not round the back! No way I'm getting to that.

So it's a Bosch eh? Well I never. I'd had it pegged as a Comet clearance special...

Quoting Ian B: 
Possibly a defrost indicator?

My fridge / freezer is an over engineered hewn from a solid steel billet Siemens lump. Ran fine for around 6 years and then chose the day before a family BBQ, when it was chocker full of food to start buzzing. A quick look at the instruction book and found it was an auto-defrost warning. Basically when the buzzer sounds you have 24 hours to find somewhere to stash the food because the freezer has decided to auto-defrost – which it achieves by running in effect backwards and heats the freezer compartment.

My Bosch fridge/freezer has had this behaviour a couple of times. It seems to get iced up in one place - pushing the inside at one point I can feel the ice creaking. I manually defrost the freezer - there's normally less than a litre of water afterwards.