Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy exhaust

pugwash

Noise testing is very, very subjective; it depends on the tester of the day, the circuit/airfield, if they've had breakfast and maybe even which side of bed they got out in the morning! But turning up to an event, if possible, and asking for a test is a good idea and usually free.

People have used noise meters from Maplin and even apps on iDevices to get a gauge of noise. But I think a 4" silencer is going to read high on the dB meter. 5" silencers can be marginal if the packing has blown out from years of abuse.

I have the Supersport silencer it sounds superb especially going up the Pass of the Cattle or a tunnel *smile*

I would suspect you've not got a "cat in hells" chance of getting through a trackday noise check. However if you do you will get stopped on the drive by if you go above 4500 revs when it gets really loud.

Quoting Pugwash: 
I have a sigma supersport with the 4 inch silencer. It seems quite loud. Apart from turning up at a track day to find I am above the noise limit and cannot take part, how else can I measure the noise level?

Go and find your local police station, and rev the nuts off it in a low gear drive by. *tongue*

I am sure they will tell you how noisy it is when they hand you a fine.