Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For Information - Sticking ABS cycle wings

Ivaan

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
What was the local name of the solvent you used?

Some "methylated spirits" = "denatured alcohol" contains added oil, usually petroleum oil.

this, to the best of my knowledge it is clean. The wife uses it for polishing windows, so it can't leave much behind *tongue*

Oh, and I used 292...not cheap.

Quoting gundersen: 
Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
What was the local name of the solvent you used?

Some "methylated spirits" = "denatured alcohol" contains added oil, usually petroleum oil.

this, to the best of my knowledge it is clean. The wife uses it for polishing windows, so it can't leave much behind

Thanks.

That's the equivalent of methylated spirits in the UK. but I can't tell exactly what that type contains.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Sorry to trigger this thread off again but it is something we all love to discuss so much *wink*

I recently had a failure of the wire on a bighead, no impact that I was aware of, it was on my academy car so only 1000 miles or so of (mainly track) use. I only noticed it when washing the car so lucky only 1 went I guess, I'll put it down to faulty welding.

Anyway the point of the post is to emphasise how hard it was to remove the damn thing to fit a new one! This was stuck on using the BigBond FS Acrylic (which I now use instead of Sika 292 because it is a bit cheaper and sets very quickly), the wing was a new ABS one from CC. I had a hell of a job getting it off - trying to cut away the glue with small wirecutters, stanley knife etc - eventually I managed to get a screwdriver under a corner and prise it off but it wasn't easy. Then I needed to remove the remaining glue so I had a flat surface to glue another bighead on to. To cut a long story short I ended up grinding it away with a dremel!

This is strong stuff!

• Area Representative

I used an old guitar string to remove my broken bighead. I cut away enough to get the wire underneath then gently pulled it through, beneath it. It took some force but it didn't damage the wing.

Quoting Grubbster: 

I recently had a failure of the wire on a bighead, no impact that I was aware of, it was on my academy car so only 1000 miles or so of (mainly track) use. I only noticed it when washing the car so lucky only 1 went I guess, I'll put it down to faulty welding.

Cough. I did tell you the bigheads would fail Steve 😶‍🌫️

Jez

I have two postcard sized aluminium plates bent at the ends to allow them to be bolted to the stays parallel to the wing, drilled with a dozen holes then bonded to the wing with sikaflex and coated with it to form the filling in an adhesive sandwich.

They've been like this for 10 years and I've only just redone them because the aluminium was suffering corrosion and powdering up.

Reused the same plates after a clean up and spray with primer to stave off the corrosion they're stuck on again with sika 291i.

Had to use the multitool with the scraper blade to get the old stuff off so no worries about it sticking okay, the larger surface area of the plates gives more bonding area than if it were just the round stays doing the job.