Click here if you are having website access problems ×

building race simulator (cheap)

four20

i'm thinking of getting a cheap simulator together but have no games experience. I'm therefore looking for advice on everything from the game itself to the type of seat, pedal set, steering wheel, monitor and PC.

I'm willing to spend up to 2 thousand but hope to get away with around half that.

any ideas welcome.

Quoting CageyH: 
PC based?

Game - rFactor - there are loads of cars and tracks available.

Pedals - Fanatec Clubsport Mk 2

Wheel - Fanatec GT3RS

Seat - I use an Ikea office chair... 😳

Monitors - triple screen set up is the way to go.

rFactor on PC is the daddy (I am told) but it needs a decent PC, check the required scecs if you have one.

Fanatec wheels & pedals are also as.good as it gets, at sensible money anyway.

I race GT5 (Playstation3) with a mainly UK group, check out GTARENA good clean stuff with several nights a week.

All comes down to what gear you already have.

P.S. Triple monitor not necessary & if you have a decent tv go the eggsbox or playstation rpute but only assuming you control the room its located in......

i've spent an enjoyable evening drooling over the rFactor stuff and come to the conclusion that the fanatec CSL Forza seat unit with the recommended wheel and pedals is the way to go. price is better than i'd hoped too.

thanks everyone.

tony

A word of warning: rFactor 1 has an amazing range of content but rFactor 2 is available though a year after it was released (as a "beta") there is very little content. As a beginner I doubt you'd notice the difference between rF1 and rF2 though. An advantage of rF1 being so old is that it doesn't require a state-of-the-art PC.

Mate of mine makes these cockpits here

The one pictured is a prototype he gave me a few years back - production versions are usually in CNC'd plywood - although this MDF version has proved to be perfectly robust. The pedal box will unhook and sit in the main body for storage if required - he has also started doing a lower monitor stand for use with triple-screen setups.

If anyone is interested, blat mail me - I can't for the life of me remember his website address (which is more directed to his main commercial cnc business anyway, if memory serves.

Ought to say - I've (re)started racing in the L7 league this year using rfactor - my pc is 5 years (or more) old and the graphics card is perhaps a year younger. Neither were high end - yet the performance is more than adequate for races with the kind of grid size we had last night (18 starters)

I use one of these here

But rfactor will run on most DX9 graphics cards without much trouble, the better the card the more of the bells and whistles you can have turned on.

The new Nvidia cards will run triple screens but only the higher ones.

I think over the GTX650?

In your budget of £1000 is that for everything or do you have a reasonable pc and screen already? ?