Click here if you are having website access problems ×

boot poppers

Grandmaster Flatcap

Help please chaps...

I recently bought myself a SBFS half hood - all very nice - and fitted the back-to-back push the dot fasteners to the boot cover. Problem is the two studs on the skin of the car that these push the dots fasten onto are, well, chewed (is the only word I can thing to describe them). This is the first time I've had the boot cover off these studs. All the other studs appear to be fine, it's just these two (in fact the skin of the car is a little pushed in around the near-side stud. god knows what has happened to them). I managed to get the off-side popper onto the stud after much swearing and numbing of thumbs, but the near-side is a complete non-starter.

Can some kind soul please tell me how to replace them, and what special tools if any I will need?

Thanks in advance.

Caterham use a specific pop rivet with a countersunk head which works a treat, I can send you a couple if you blatmail me your address. When you rivet them in you'll find that the head of the rivet gun won't reach inside the popper so you'll need to improvise - I used a small nut that would fit inside the popper between the head of the rivet gun and the head of the rivet.

• Area Representative

When fixing popper bases with the correct countersunk rivets, you also need to ensure that the nose of the riveting tool will sink inside hollow of the popper base rather than against the rim.

I've had to modify a couple of riveting tools to achieve this.

Here you go, this is the countersunk rivet and popper base. The head of the rivet is well inside the popper so the nose of the rivet tool can't reach it - you can see I tried to file this bit down so it would go inside but it was too hard. So instead I use the little nut in between the tool and the head of the rivet, this is small enough to fit inside the popper so it means the rivet gets fixed in place properly. The washer is used if the rivet is going through a single ali sheet so that the load is spread.

here

Just completed fitting my half-hood. Used the special poppers supplied with it that prevent the strap pulling off the popper above the wheel arch when you apply tension. On my car that stud was held by a screw rather than a rivet. I presume that's because there's a frame tube there.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello everybody, this is my first post and I'm not sure what the form is but I hope it's ok to resurrect this existing post. Unfortunately I am like a horse with a handbag wearing boxing gloves when it comes to matters practical so you'll have to bear with me but I am in sore need of some assistance please.

Like Mr Mercer I have acquired an SBFS half hood and have successfully fitted the new studs to the boot cover but am really struggling fitting the new studs to the body of the car. I have invested in the Stanley rivet gun and have legion types of rivets but so far I have only succeeded in riveting the, erm, rivet to the car and riveting the rivet to the stud, but not riveting the stud to the car.

Grubbster's helpful advice seems to solve the problem and I'm not sure whether there were originally photos attached to this string but I am so impractical that I still cannot work out what's required in terms of  inserting the nut where.... Also, mention is made of a specific rivet - I've looked on Caterham's website but am unable to locate this. Any help or assistance will be gratefully received, thank you.

Thanks Jonathan.

Yes, I have the Pull the Dot studs with the deeper rim which go with the uni-directional stud now fitted to the cover. In my final paragraph I was referring to a counter-sunk rivet which is mentioned earlier in the tread.