Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removal of Brake Discs

sicsr

Can anyone give me a quick run through of the procedure for taking off the front (and rear if different) on the csr260 please.

I think i know what to do but would like a second opinion before i start. I'm going to have them powder coated.

Cheers

Si *wink*

Quoting RH7 Lowflyer: 
Hi,

My second opinion is why would you want to powder coat your brake discs??

RH7

Doh! You know the bit in the middle that always goes rusty on any car, yes, well that's what i want to powder coat in shiney gloss yellow. Get it? *smile*

These discs look very good and they seem to think you dont need any high temp powder. Though doing the whole disc and skimming is not necessary, only masking is needed.

here

Tho my original question was about the procedure of removal of the discs.

Edited by - sicsr on 30 Sep 2012 22:28:52

Assuming the disc attaches to the rotor the same as the S3, once you have the disc off the car, there are four low profile bolts that hold the disc to the rotor. These can be a massive PITA to remove due to corrision and rounding the low profile bolt head.

I did this by bolting the disc to the wheel, then flipping the wheel face down on the ground so I could see the rear of the disc and the bolts. After soaking in WD40 (you could also use Plus Gas or pentrating oil), and using a surface driving socket (internal faces of the socket slightly convex), I knelt on the tyre and with a breaker bar carefully applied load to the bolt and off they came. You have to be really careful not to round the bolts, I think I tapped the socket on with a hammer to over come any rust and make sure it was firmly on.

New bolt, thread lock and nice shiny dics. I now wish Id hammerited the rotor through when I had the chance!

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Use some PlusGas on the visible ends of the bolt threads (once you have removed the hubs) for a day or so to help break the corrosion.

Assume you are ok with removing the caliper (keep hose attached) and then hub from upright ?

It all seems a bit of a caffuffle not to mention a pulava, as the discs are fine i think i'll just do what you mentioned and paint the discs insitue using hammerite. *wink*

Id personally be wary of hammeriting over the existing bolts holding this disc to the rotor. They are difficult enought to get off at the best of times, let alone when rusted on, covered in paint, paint which will preventing future penetrating oil working and with low profile bolts.

Quoting classic1952: 
For what it's worth, I have just finished changing my discs. My 2009 Roadsport has the discs attached by socket head bolts, making them really easy to change. Could this be a worthwhile upgrade for older cars?
On the csr they are Allen headed bolts tho i have decided to paint the rusty centres Not the bolts. *wink*