Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pushing my Caterham

Davidmatthews

Looking to get the most from my new car and thinking of doing one or more or the following

Cadence day

Drift day

Track training day

Or just a track day (best first one? )

From experience what should I do to help get better cornering speeds and contoling drifts ?

On or off the road ?

Is there much left this year ?

Thanks again

Hi David,

You wouldn't go wrong with any of those suggestions, but the cheapest options are

1.Attend a Motorsport Events trackday at Hullavington where you have an airfield circuit and a handling area (one car at a time) with slalom and donut areas.

2. Next year volunteer to be a driver at the Supercar Event and get to spend two days hooning around, taking passengers around for charity with the only cost being your fuel and tyres. THE best value, fun, rewarding and informative days you can do IMO.

*smile*

Quoting Davidmatthews: 

On or off the road ?

Thanks again

Off - any time. You don't want to loose it on the track. You certainly don't want to loose it in traffic where everybody does not go in the same direction as you.

Eeerhm. They don't on the track either:

http://rejsa.nu/im/user/15401/2012-05-13-12-31-43_dsc00235.jpg

I still remember the look in the face of the driver of the yellow EVO-VW when I spun 😳

I would suggest the cadence day first. I did a similar day driving when I got my first seven and it taught me how to survive on the road in a seven. We all think we are excellent drivers but the course showed me how little I understood about road driving.

There is a risk that you might get over confident in the car from a track day and do something silly on the road.

(obviously I don't know anything about your driving experience so please don't think I am making any personal criticism!)

I've done the Caterham Drift and Slalom days ..... both really good fun ( personally I thought the drifting one was better) and shows you just how agile and controlable a se7en is.

Track days are good for getting the feel of the cars ability at real speed, cornering and braking.

So a mixture of all of it I would suggest.

However, leave that hooning stuff for off road - on road stay safe and sensible (ish) - I've seen to many cars parked in ditches and hedges due to the driver running out of talent at a critical moment !!