Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rain covers

en6jwrs

Just a quick question:

Can anyone recommend a rain cover for a S3 (to be used whilst trailering the car)? Either just over the windscreen and cockpit or the entire car.

I have seen a few loosish fitting storm covers on Elises etc (to protect the soft top) which seem to loop round the wing mirrors and attach to the back and was wondering if there was something similar for a Caterham.

I do have weather gear, but it doesnt fit well over my FIA bar and I never use the car in the wet so dont want to invest in a new hood etc.

I did try a search but dont even know what these items are called!

Thanks in advance.

[caveat]I've never trailered[/caveat]

I've used CoverSystems outdoor covers for years and years. They would probably be secure-enough with a decent set of 'gated-hook' bungies - but that aside, I'm aware that CoverSystems do/did list a net to go over the top for use when trailering.

Mebbe worth a look-see!

I have a SBFS trackday.touring cover and they are very good. I also have one of the shower caps (from heaven7soon's bulk buy) which are equally good.

I've trailered my car once - in the pouring rain - and didn't use a cover. I have heard a fair few people say it is not wise to put a cover on when trailering as the cover will flap about and could damage/burn the paint, likewise, grit and all sorts can get stuck between the cover and the bodywork and wouldn't do much good. I'd say fit a tonneau cover if you have one to cover the interior otherwise don't use one if trailering.

Cheers

David

-1 for cover on a trailer

+1 for tonneau

It's the grit that'll get you. Even a tight cover will move about enough in the towing vehicle's wake to cause abrasion.

We trailer the car to trackdays. If it looks like rain we put the tonneau on before setting out, other wise keep it in the tow car boot.

Many thanks for all the replies!

I hadnt even considered the effect of rubbing on the car - thanks for saving me a potentially expensive day!

Execuse my ignorance, but the Tonneau is the cockpit cover which fits on the poppers? Is SFBS the best place for these?

Thanks again

Gary - mail sent back!

ETA - I have tillets - is this an issue?

Edited by - en6jwrs on 19 Jul 2012 15:42:29

• 2 months later...

This may sound daft; but anyone ever thought about using parcel wrap when on the trailer? I went up to Scotland for the last sprint of the year on Sunday, passed many trucks throwing out tons of spray on the motorway, and consequently suffered some blown fuses resulting in the car conking out and not restarting (no ignition warning lamp or fuel pump buzzing) in the paddock before the event started. I just doused every electrical connector under the bonnet I could get to and disconnect, and then hey presto, she fired up and no more bother! But then the event was abandoned due to the track being flooded! ☹️

Anyway, I'm thinking the plastic coating may have saved the water ingress, and wouldn't have rubbed due to it being so tight against the body?

• Area Representative

I've trailered in some torrential conditions and only ever use just the tonneau or full hood & doors to keep the cockpit dry. Never had a problem except for a dirty car but no water ingress to cause running problems. It probably helps that my minno has boarding which reduces the spray that goes underside of the car (and into the engine bay).

Nick

PS A friend trailered a classic car many years ago with a cover fitted and the resultant damage was enough for the car to have to go for spraying again ☹️

I've got a towing cover from Thoroughbred Covers for my track car, so not too fussed about the paint or marks on it. It was second hand from another club member and Graduates racer, and made for a Caged hooped cage rather than the Safety Devices sort, so the fit wasn't perfect to start with.

It's had a bashing over the years and repairs here and there but still keeps most of the crud out while trailering and does/can flap about a bit if you break the speed limit. At least people can spot you coming! For me, it is ideal, as it was cheaper than a tonneau and I'll keep fixing it and using it until it totally falls to bits.

http://images20.fotki.com/v1590/photos/8/42688/7812053/Caterham-vi.jpg