Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sidescreen fixing strap

Mike Eamer

Hi All,

Just purchased a set of the sidescreen fixing kits (part 76256) as my car does not have them fitted. It is just the arm rests that hold the doors shut.

On the drivers side especially the door sits 1" away from the bodywork resulting in me getting a cold draft on the kidneys and soaked when its wet.

Issue is how on earth do these get fitted to the door??? did a search but cant find anything.

Anyone got a photo?

Cheers

Mike

You can get some short straps from Caterham that pull the door in to the body. You need to drill two holes. One into the chassis rail under your elbow where you fit a male popper that the strap fastens to an the other through the door in the rear edge that faces the stone guards.

I'll see if I have a photo when I get home. It is a 5 min job to fit them.

Steve

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but don't try drilling a new hole, just drill out a rivet and use the hole to mount the male fastener to the chassis.

Drilling through the (easily damaged) side panel, stainless sill protector and into the round chassis tube is a challenge to say the least.

Duncan

I also get a bit of a draft from the front leading edge of the sidescreen where it should be against the bodywork and I have the fixing strap mid-point on the sill and the one near the shoulder. My problem is the door has some curvature that comes from the profile near your elbow and does not allow it to fit flush to the bodywork. You might want to check that you will achieve the required result by fitting a strap before the drill comes out.

Yep, had planned to drill a rivet out and fit it there to avoid another hole.

main query is you get two straps in the kit per door, one has a bolt, washer and dome nut, the other just has a plastic screw...

I assume the bolted one goes up behind your shoulder, interested in how you attach the one with just a screw.

Quoting Mike Eamer: 
Hi All,

Just purchased a set of the sidescreen fixing kits (part 76256) as my car does not have them fitted. It is just the arm rests that hold the doors shut.

On the drivers side especially the door sits 1" away from the bodywork resulting in me getting a cold draft on the kidneys and soaked when its wet.

Issue is how on earth do these get fitted to the door??? did a search but cant find anything.

Anyone got a photo?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

I never have to use the straps, the armrest fastener closes my door flush? In any case there are some pics of my fastener here

If you need better images pm me with your email address or if you need to see the actual fitting there are plenty of guys around Aberdeen including myself, in fact there is a meeting planned later this month, take a look at Events at Jock7s here

Hi Mike

I wondered if the post was from you but then thought it must be someone else because I thought you went aero with helmet? Must be all this dire weather that has forced you to seek the protection of windscreen and sidescreens 😬

I don't understand why you have an inch gap, my doors pull in flush using just the armrest popper. I recall when I collected the previous CSR that Nick Potter said I wouldn't need to use the straps just the armrest poppers.

The new CSR is great but haven't had much chance to get out in it due to waging war on the garden. My wife complains that I never let her drive it so for her forthcoming birthday I have booked her a day out in one of Boyd's 7's (Open Road Hire) but I won't be her pax, I will take the CSR and we will go for a run somewhere in hopefully sunny weather.

I hope to get down to Strathmore Vintage Rally at Glamis Castle on Saturday or more probably Sunday, then the following Sunday the CLAN charity run to Lecht and back to Treetops Hotel with all the Porkers, Astons, Ferraris, Lambos but in particular an MP4-12c that I MUST at least have a seat in 😬 😬 I think it would be my dream car if only it didn't have a roof *cool*

Nah no aero/helmet for me... that is just my bald head! haha Aero is on the cards though for when its just me heading out but its just damn expensive for what it is.

The gap is there because the arm rest has stretched a little and the door just does not sit right. I guess it was fine when new but after 10 years and especially with me leaning on it I think its stretched/warped a bit. Passenger side is fine. It was the run last week with Joe when the car filled up with water and I was sitting in a puddle that prompted me to fix this issue prior to this weekends 650mile efforts on the west coast.

Will fit the strap tonight and then try and sort it out properly once I get back from the NW run this weekend.

I am skipping the CLAN run this year, last year was OK but I found a lot of the people drove like complete kn0bs so dont want to get caught up in that again. That said sitting behind a F430 scuderia for 50miles while it got a good workout was pure music :)

Mike

My mistake Mike ... it is Chris that does the aero macho' stuff 😳

Enjoy your 650 mile run it looks like you may get some decent weather for it. I thought about tagging along but getting too old for doing the wild thing, I'll be content newsing with all the other old bearded farts at Glamis *rolleyes* 😬 We did the Ullapool / Dornoch run on Diamond Jubilee day in scorching weather, it was the penultimate run in my old CSR. Remeber to fill up at Ullapool because there is b*gger all else for many miles north or west after that.