Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear axle & transmission rebuild

charlie_pank

Righto, I've POR15 painted the bits of chassis, a frame, trailing arms and dd-tube that needed it; the propshaft now has a TRT in it and is back and bolted to the output flange. All I need now is the diff back, so if you'd all be so good as to leave R&R alone, they can get on with the ATB swap and send it back to me and I can get back to blatting!

Hi Jon, actually been there and back again, turned out gearing was all wrong: it didn't hit the power-band until about 45mph in first, would top out at 85 in 1st and a theoretical 170 in 6th. I miscalculated the required diff ratio based on an 11,500 redline it turns out to be 14,000! So I got the diff out and R&R are swapping it from 3.14 to 3.62. It was easier to get the diff out after taking out the dd-tube (i've always left it in in the past). I also figured it was a good opportunity to get a TRT put in the propshaft to reduce the drivetrain shunt.

sounds like a big job but really doesn't feel like one any more!

Thanks for the offer, but the chassis is quite waxy already!

just got it all back together and went for a test around the block.

2 things immediately apparent

1. The massive clonk and lurch when I engage first has gone as has the diff whine (thanks to phil at R

&R and to Bailey Morris for the TRT)

2. I know the roads are still damp, but wow I have a lot more power from 0 now - I just fishtailed my way down the road instead of the previous granny starts, and I wasn't even trying! This is going to be a LOT of fun!

1:3.62 is definitely the right ratio for me (2005 R1 on 185/70/13s) and the TRT feels like it is so much nicer to the diff and gearbox.

Edited by - charlie_pank on 7 Jul 2012 21:36:49