Click here if you are having website access problems ×

175 60 13 Yoko A539

eric

Hi Eric, I've got the CR500s on the 7...........however I'm using the A539s on the Austin Mini I have, although it is using a 200bhp Vauxhall motor. *smile*

For the road the A539s are great for the price, not so hard as the pips stay on for 10,000 miles and not so soft that they wear before your eyes.

Grip levels seem good in high-ish speed corners, and in my few forays out in the rain.....one a torrential storm seemed fine in the wet.

Edited by - kenny. on 22 Jun 2012 13:40:24

Classic grads racers use A539s as their control tyre, and so do most of the class 1 and some of the class 2 club speed championship competitors as they are on the MSA "List 1A" for normal road tyres.

I use them, and they are certainly alot less sticky than CR500s or any of the other

more track oriented tyres, but seem fairly progressive to me.

On the road they are fine, but won't stop you as quickly as a CR500, and might catch

you out if you are pushing the limits of CR500s (which of course you shouldn't be on the road). They will be heavier than CR500s too.

185x60x13s are quite cheap posted by Polleysport - not sure about other sizes.

AB

I had them previously in 195 50 15 good for every day use. My 7 is a 1989 Sprint so 110 HP . I use 032 for trackdays and Bridgestone RE720 for road use.

As my car is old now, so I would like to use a road tyre for trackdays as it will slip more, with more fun and safer for my old chassis

They're pretty much as you'd expect- not in the same league as trackday or Caterham specific tyres, but an above-average road tyre which seems to work better than most on our lightweight cars.

I have 185/60r13 fitted to my racecar. For road use I'd prefer to fit 185/70r13 Avons because they are fantastically progressive and very comfy.

The Avon is the old CR322 as fitted to Caterham Academy cars since about 1998. My car has 100bhp and the CR322 would be my choice. Yes, it has a larger rolling circumference than the 185/60r13, but I never felt handicapped by that- indeed, us Graduates are still attempting to beat some lap records which were set by CR322s which are unbeatable by a539s.

The extra compliance in the side wall makes it about the most confidence-inspiring list 1a tyre I've tried.

A well-regarded book about Lotus and Caterham 7s, the name of which has escaped me, asserted that 185/70r13 tyres were the sweet spot *cool*

185 60 13 yoko A539 doesn't exist anymore but 175 60 13 yes !

Is that not available locally? Polley still list 185/60 R13 at £50 a corner...and I need 2 soon *smile*

As for use as road tyre, I leave A539's on as I sprint on them, but in wet conditions even a lowly 1.4 can (scarily) spin them up once on cam. Keeps me alert but much prefer the progressive nature of A021R's *eek*

Interesting comments from James regards the Avon's and considering different requirement of Sprints vs Racing on List 1A's. I've found A539's grip falls off very rapidly with sustained loading. Video of recent Academy 2010/2011 runs at Curborough sprint shows 322's are capable in right hands *thumbup*...Hmmmm