Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear view mirror recommendations

robert green

I have a suction mounted rear view mirror which seems to be failing more and more as the rubber gets old and hard. Can anyone recommend a mirror that will stay fixed, either suction mounted or with adhesive pads as it is anoying when it keeps falling off?

Most I see seem to have bad reviews if they are suction mounted.

I've always had the same problem and have looked at alternatives such as the fixed type on a stem etc. which unfortunately caused other problems.

I came up with this solution a few years ago and it's been absolutely perfect.

Mirror

Look at issue #4 - Hint & Tips.

My example is not pretty, typically - the prototype worked first time and I've never tidied it up. I'm sure the idea can be cleaned up to suit a discerning owner...

I got a Ford dipping mirror from Redline components. It wasn't cheap but with the mirror rotated 180 degrees and the base located at the top of the screen, and offset off to the passenger side, it allows the minimum of blind spot when looking forward. Also I have a better view to the rear through the gap that the diagonal bar on the FIA roll bar leaves. Standard Caterham mirrors on the side screens and the coverage is pretty good. The ability to dip the mirror at night, especially on a motorway, is a great feature. The tiny stick on wobbly rear view mirror was consigned to the bin a long time ago.

Alternative:

Just use two well set up side mirrors.

I have not used a centre mirror in anything for about 7 years.

Reason to wean myself off is due to driving vans, trailers, high loaded estate cars, at time centre mirror is useless. Hopeless to 'habitually' look for info thete then have to look again when it's obscured.

It is (was) obscured in 7 by rollbar diagonals, head restraints, occupants shoulders. Decided to remove it.

Saves weight, cost and complexity also. *thumbup*

Peter

Croc,

I assume you meant that you do NOT really need the side mirrors with the panoramic windscreen mirror...? That has been my experience.

I have one of the MirrorsforSevens windscreen-frame pano mirrors, and wouldn't be without it. It is barely wider than the windscreen frame itself, and gives a full view behind, from over one shoulder to over the other.

And it frees up a blind area in the center of the screen normally occupied by a stick-on mirror.