Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to make clear lens brake lights brighter?

jp7

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
please could you list which parts you used in getting to that point, and are they the standard light unit housings?

I've used the standard Caterham supplied light units+lenses.

Purchased some of the plastic convex/concave mirrors that Titanium 7 mentioned

Taken off the lens and removed the indicator bulb

Removed the "reflector" from the Caterham block (it came off with little resistance)

Cut the mirror to fit behand the bulb where CC "reflector" was

Stuck the mirror in place.

Replaced Bulb

Put lens back on

Tested to make sure not affected electickery

Total time was about 7 mins for the 1st side and then 5 for the 2nd

SM25T: The mirrors ae very thin (1mm) flexible plastic, and as the std filament bulb get warm just buy just acting as indicators I'm not sure how they (the mirrors) cope under the sustained heat from having the side lights on so I think LED's may be the way forwards

Mike

Edited by - michaeljclark on 1 Jul 2012 13:00:51

I can set up a bulk buy if there are enough people inteested. The standard price is 88p ex vat for each mirror, £1.06p inclusive VAT + £4.50 p&P

If we make it £1 per mirror plus the postage at cost, this is where the saving will come in.

Postage will be a small padded envelope plus the stamp, yet to be costed, but it will be substantially less than the current standard charge the company applies. I will verify the actual cost of postage tomorrow evening.

Currently there are only 4 left in stock, but can be replenished quite quickly.

If you want some post your interest on the Bulb Buy post I will shortly set up.

You do not have to remove the original reflectors as you can double sided tape the mirrors directly onto the original small inefective reflectors.

Martyn

Just fitted the first one to a rear indicator. Wow - what an amazing difference !!

Had to notch the mirror to clear the fixing screw for the lens cover, and to clear the bulb holder. If you get the middle of the mirror to line up with the filament itself - fantastic focus and brightness *idea* *thumbup*

I drilled out the rivet and removed the dull metal 'reflector' and simply stuck the mirror to the backplate.

I tried an offcut from the edge of the mirror to test the heat resistance. First laid a bit on a 40W bulb indoors - soon softened and took the shape of the bulb.

Our tail lights are only 5W - I turned the lights on and laid another bit on top of a bulb for 10 minutes - no effect. Given that the bulb doesn't touch the mirror when fitted, I don't think there is an issue here.

Went the whole hog and fitted rest of mirrors to tail/brake section of cluster and installed LED rear light bulbs yesterday.

A vast improvement (even if you didn't do the LED bit)

This is one of those "upgrades" that is well worth the effort and also not expensive!

Mike