Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Protecting front cycle wings

classic1952

Hi. I am new on here, having just purchased my first Caterham, a 2009 ex Academy model.

As with most cars there are light cracks near the leading edge of the front wings. I have seen several cars with carbon fibre covers extending back six inches or more, covering the front portion of the wing and at the same time hiding any existing cracks. Does anyone on here know who sells these?

Thanks.

Greg

Hi Greg!

One thought occurred to me....considered slapping a bit of 3M carbon effect wrap over the front of the wings? I cover my steel wing guards in the stuff and just replace it every now and then (less than annually!) It's pretty resilient stuff and cheap to replace. Shapes exactly if you arm yourself with a heat gun/ hair dryer!

😬

I think you are mistaken classic1952..... I've seen many, many sevens over the last 3.5 years, and visited all the websites and never seen or heard of any caps.

I believe you have seen carbon wings with the front part unpainted.

Regards Andy

Been watching this thread with interest.

I've never seen the items that Greg is describing though I've only seen in total a few hundred sevens (6 or 700 max I suppose).

We're all being really polite - but personally I don't think these things exist. (though looking at the leading edge of my front wings I wish they did).

Dave (away for two weeks now so prepared to get flamed)

Thanks chaps!

The car I first saw with these fitted is currently for sale at Woodcote, having been bought by them from a private seller in North Yorkshire. It was him who told me about them. However, it may be that the owner prior to him made them from some form of pliable carbon look overlay. Whatever way it was achieved, it was a very effective way of covering up all the small cracks that appear towards the front of the wing without the cost of new wings.

That looks to me like the sva compliant piping, it quickly deteriorates and/or unsticks in patches, most people only keep it on for the inspection then remove it.

PVC not carbon though.