Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Air Locks and Pela Pumps

Titanium7

Having been part of the silicone hose bulk buy I was pleased how simple the hose change was! (K Series)

My frustration has been that I believe I have an air lock that just will not go away. Temp rises up to well above normal without the fan kicking in. Bottom hose is reluctant to get hot.

Have tried all the ways posted previously on Blatchat having emptied and re-filled about 10 times. Already have the Heater 'T' piece in the system.

I have just read that it may be possible to get rid of the air lock by using a Pela vacuum pump and creating a bit of vacuum pressure in the system. Has anybody tried this and been successful in removing an airlock?

Failing that I think I might start again using this process here. Has anybody used this method on a K Series with any success?

Ok easy to say I know but the amalgamated blatchat method of bleeding does work. However if you want to try the vacuum way that will work too I reckon. Either way I live in Telford and i'll give you a hand with both methods. Give us a shout if you want.

Mark

I've always found that lifting the nose as high as you can and running the engine whilst filling helps shift the airlock. I keep squeezing the top and bottom hoses at the same time, with the rad cap off, until they get hot.

I can see how the pela will help, as you remove most of the air before putting the coolant in, so there is hardly anything left to cause the lock. All a bit fiddly though.

As an aside, the Pela is a great tool for oil changes, I use one and almost never bother with a sump plug now. Great for gearboxes too!

HTH - Simon

I hate being beaten so back into the garage again.

Checked the fan switch *thumbup*

Wipped out the the theromstat and tested *thumbup*

Drilled a couple of 1.5mm holes through the stat flange.

Filled again from the top hose then lifted the front of the car and squeezed, yanked and swore a lot and then repeated squeezing, yanking and swearing and finally success. Coolant straight through the radiator and fan switch kicking in and out as necessary.

Just pigged off ☹️ that I missed such a glorious day and have no skin on the knuckles left.

Thanks for all the replies.

Martyn,

I fitted the Freelander Grey Pressure Relief Remote Thermostat to my old car. It prevents cold shock to the block when the thermostat opens, but has the added advantage of no iar lock issues. Keeps a more even water temperature, even in cold weather. Do a search on PRRT.

There are two versions, the cream version is set at too high a temperature ( 88' ? ). The kit was around £90 from Landrover.

Clive.

Correct. Remove the shunt hose from the head tank to the submarine hose and block the submarine stub off. Fit a 5/8" tee to the bypass hose in place of the straight connector at the back of the engine (inlet side) and connect to the base of the header tank with a new length of 5/8" heater hose which runs under the inlet manifold/throttle bodies.

I have just fired off a tech article for LF covering the mods.