Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ford Differential - dead after 1600 miles

David Mirylees

Anyone have any suggestions as to why a brand new crownwheel and pinion that was fitted 1600 miles ago to my Ford axled 7 should now be (to quote the garage) "eating itself"?

I took the car to the garage that did the fitting of the CWP last week for it's MOT and mentioned that the diff was noisy, whistling from 50 mph onwards. They rotated the propshaft and found that there was way too much play and told me that it should be less than half the way that it is now.

Booked the car in to have the diff checked and re-set and then received the dreaded 'eating itself' call.

The teeth on the CWP appear to be sharp/rough whereas I thought that they were smooth when I received it. Anyway the parts are over a year old now so the CWP supplier doesn't want to know but I would really like to know what has occurred. *mad*

Cheers.

Assuming the parts are to OEM spec then the only possibility is poor setup/adjusbment.

Ford 'English' axles are about as tough as they come - PROVIDED the CWP backlash has been set correctly, and you had the correct ep80 oil in the diff casing,

Hope this helps

Bon

Part came from the 'people that make suits' so was expected to be of good quality. Their web pages state that their diffs are made to OEM stds. (unfortunately other already mentioned experts mentioned that these new diffs are made overseas and aren't brilliant).

Diff was installed by local garage which is always looking after 'interesting' machinery, has a great reputation and hillclimbs a couple of nice toys.

All the set-up was promised to be correct.

Correct oil was used and was at the right level...

Car only used on the road.

Thks 4 the offer Chris but I have ordered an English 3.54 from Road & Race to ensure that this /next time everything is OK.

I got the dubious diff back earlier today and will get the CWP checked locally for hardness B4 I send it back to 'the tailors' for their comments.

I checked my diff with another and found that the top edges of the teeth have burred which is giving the rough edge. The other diff had teeth that were smooth to the touch.

Edited by - David Mirylees on 20 Apr 2012 18:50:34