Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Comparision of plain to drilled/grooved discs

Ivaan

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide whether to change over from drilled and grooved front discs, to the standard plain ones, to help bring the brake balance back to the rear of my car.

Does anyone have experience of changing to drilled/grooved discs from the plain items, leaving everything else unchanged. If so, what difference was made?

Supposedly, the drilled/grooved one's disipate heat better, so would be more efficient. However, there's also less contact area on the disc, which will reduce braking, but against that, there's the same pressure from the calipers over a smaller area, which should do what???

Confused?

I have the plain discs at home ready to go on, but I'm just after some idea of what the change will mean.

Thanks,

Clive

From my understanding, any braking is mainly based on the surface area between the pads and disks. So, all other things equal, drilled/grooved disks may increase braking distance due to the smaller area available.

The point behind drilling/grooving disks is tio dissipate heat quicker for the next time you are braking hard. This may prevent brake fade over successive braking zones if braking frequently (eg track driving or Stelvio Pass).

But, as ever, I may be wrong.

Strangely enough, I've just got in from the garage from replacing the dimpled/grooved discs with the standard ones. Partly through cost consideration, but also I was never totally convinced that changing from plain to dimpled/grooved really made that much difference all those years ago anyway.

Also just fitted the larger surface areas Mintex 1144s (Ref MGB535M1144) to try to get more brake balance to the front. Need to bed them in after changing the brake fluid though. Not sure when I'll really be able to get this done and offer feedback.....

Nick, I'm sure you're right. Probably change them over on Saturday.

The twin MC helped a lot, that's to say, the rear brakes are now getting hot and doing work. I've put new standard brake shoes on the rear, which has also helped. However, the bias bar is still wound right over to the rear circuit, and the brake peddle pressure is pretty high.

I think if I swap the discs, I will be able to move the bias more towards the centre. This may effect the peddle pressure needed to lock all 4 wheels. I assume once I'm able to lock all 4 more or less at the same time, front's first, then I won't be able to get the braking any better, it'll just be the feel that will improve.

From this point, the braking is mainly a function of the weight distribution and suspension set up, tyres ect.

Question: When changing over the discs, what should the bolts be torque'd to, and should I use any threadlock.

Drilled/grooved discs are also supposed to give a better pedel feel, the holes/grooves allow the hot gasses generated between pad and disc escape so the pad isnt 'floating'...... supposedly!

My fireblade was a prototype, so did loads of press work then was raced heavly at the hands of Alan Maynard, and Paul Harvey, the original drilled discs on the car have lasted well with no visable cracking, and I only changed the drilled fronts last year where they still had about 1/2 mm of service life left in them after i've had the car 8 years!, I bought standard discs from Canley Classics for about £13 each, clamped the old ones to them as a patern and drilled them.. proper job *thumbup*

You won't notice any difference other than the drilled ones are noisier and you can get a pulsing through the pedal - doubt you will over heat either.

You will get better feel from race master cylinder and high ratio pedal than changing discs.

Leave them on and fit a brake bias control - much better for wet as well.

J

Edited by - James.S on 13 Apr 2012 14:15:24

Quoting blade_runner: 
I bought standard discs from Canley Classics for about £13 each, clamped the old ones to them as a pattern and drilled them.. proper job *thumbup*

I seem to remember that you were supposed to heat treat the discs AFTER drilling and that any holes had to be radiused in order to prevent stress fractures.

I tapered/countersunk the holes ever so slightly as recomended by a fellow sevener who's drilled the discs on all the sevens he's owned and for his brother too... I've done 2 trackdays on them and so far so good. The original drilled discs were supplied on the car from James Whiting with the 4 pot Alcons, James used to supply the solid drilled discs, Now I'm assuming he either just drilled standard discs himself or got someone to do it for him because I noticed when drilled them that one of the holes is quite far out of the pattern.

Take a look at my drilling effort here

Went for a good blat this morning.

The solid discs are less grabby, don't lock up so suddenly, so a lot more feel to the brake. I've also wound the bias towards the front, by a couple of turns, but can still go more.

Beginning to get some real confidence in the brakes now, but there's more to come with bedding in and getting the balance right. Might need a Curborough test day soon 😬

Sorry, forgot to weigh the solid discs, but they can only be a few grams heavier than the drilled/grooved ones.

Edited by - Ivaan on 14 Apr 2012 19:55:14