Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake switch

Apollo71

Hi,

New supersport build query!

Just in the process of fitting the handbrake and the build manual says the switch is not required so i removed at before fitting then a few paragraphs later it says connect the handbrake switch!!

There is a loose connector in the transmission tunnel which will fit! So the question is, Is it needed or not?

Also The front of the handbrake mount has two fitting points. The manual says use whichever one gives the right level, but what is the right level??

Thanks

Ian

Build diary

The handbrake (for imperial cars at least!) is from a proper Mini and comes with a switch included. Older cars didn't have a handbrake warnign light, heance no need to connect, but metric cars may have.

If there is a connector near it, I'd connect it up *thumbup*

Enjoy the build - would love to do another....

Didn't connect the handbrake switch on my early 2010 build. No handbrake warning light.

When the handbrake is released it should be horizontal. Can't remember which hole I used, but it was pretty clear IIRC.

Richy

I didn't connect the switch either, and it passed IVA in Jan.

I seem to remember the Caterham Midlands guys saying that it was needed in Europe (handbrake turns the brake lights on or some such.)

The only other connector in the tunnel would be the reversing light that connects to the O/S of the gearbox casing. If that's already on, not sure what the spare connecter is, unless CC have built in a HB warning light into the loom in anticipation of it being required, legislation-wise, at some future time.

I emailed Sean yesterday just to confirm and he stated that the handbrake switch should be installed and connected to the respective connector in the transmission tunnel.

So off comes the handbrake for refitting!!!

Ian

I decided to connect the switch as the wiring was there anyway. The IVA tester Didtest the handbrake switch. He also tested the cap on the master cylinder to check it lit the warning light when pressed. I think his attention to detail explains why the IVA took him 6 hours....

I have just got to this point and grateful for the advice above.

My switch has two free terminals plus the earth wire. One completes the circuit to earth with the switch open and one with it closed. There is only one cable to connect! I have gone for switch open (ie pull on handbrake) completes the circuit on the basis that it is supplied with a current and making the earth lights the bulb. This assumes there is a bulb of course!

Does this sound right? Nothing on the wiring diagram i can see.

Regards

Mark

Supersport SV

That's exactly what I did, as I expected a warning lamp when the handbrake is applied.

Even if it's wrong the connector is easy to swap over, so I'll check when all the wiring is complete and before I cover the transmission tunnel

Ian