Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Horn Problem. Is this a Common Fault?

Mort

About 4 months ago my horn became erratic, and eventually stayed on. The problem turned out to be the copper collar disconnecting from the ring contact (see below).

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/img/p/1310-1310-thickbox.jpg

This was replaced, but the same problem has now happened again - exactly the same as before. Is this a common problem or have I just been unlucky?

I'd prefer to keep the horn button in the centre of the steering wheel, as that seems a much more logical place to have it, but if it has to be replaced every few months then relocation to a button on the dash seems to be the way to go.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

• Area Representative

Yes, common for me: I had two such failures. I now have a momo wheel but hate the button on the dash. I'm still not used to it there.

z7

I was going to fit a centre push on my car as it came supplied with the dash button.

A couple of people told me they had problems with the wheel contact and recommended I keep it as it is, so it is certainly a known problem.

Duncan

Thanks for the replies. *thumbup*

The copper ring has actually disconnected, as it did the first time around, and is currently free-floating and earthing on anything it feels like. Dead embarrassing when this happens going through town. *redface*

Looks like relocation is the way to go. My Supersprint had the horn on the dash, so hopefully it will soon become second nature again.

Thanks all. 😶‍🌫️

Edited by - Mort on 26 Mar 2012 10:17:43

I have the centre push and mine has recently failed for a different reason.

The spring loaded contact on the wheel boss was touching just the outer few mm of the copper ring, with a bit of an overhang. The tip of the contact had worn leaving a lip on one side and eventually this lip tag touched the plastic surrounding the copper ring causing the horn to become intermittent/non existant.

Removed the sprung contact and introduced the tip to Mr File and it's all working fine again.

Unless you live in Mumbai, how often do you use the damned thing anyway? *tongue* *wink*

I must confess that the dash-button in one of my two sevens (the Westie) is not ideal in that:

i) It is the same colour as the dash

ii) It is obscured by the wheel

iii) I think (haven't driven the car yet this year) that it is the same design/colour as the starter button!

None of the above is ideal when you actually *do* need it (typically only when someone decides to reverse towards you - and being bike-engined with no reverse, it can get quite frantic in the cockpit at that point!)

Also had a problem with my momo CSR steering wheel on more than one occasion. In the end removed it and had a boss,shaft and quick release made special for my CSR. Relocated a push button horn under the steering wheel.