Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mysterious fluid leak at rear

andybriggs

I found a small amount of oily fluid under the rear near-side wheel after driving the car for 3 miles and leaving it overnight with handbrake on. It has splashed radially up the inside of the tyre so appears to have dripped when moving. However, there was nothing on the floor before I drove it and nothing has appeared in the 5 days since despite holding the brake pedal down hard for a minute. This is on a 3 year old de-dion car. Any ideas please?

Did you have a car with a rear brake caliper recall? Mine is a 58 plate and I think it also affected the 09 and 59 plate cars.

Symptom in mine was leaking fluid when the handbrake was applied *HARD*.

Jez

No signs of anything running along driveshafts. No sign from brake pipe union. No sign from damper. When I took the wheel off there was one drip under the inner caliper piston but no sign of anything since after 4 days and pumping brake pedal.

Edited by - andybriggs on 5 Mar 2012 21:50:33

To help you do as SM25T suggests in order to investigate brake fluid leaking use Myles' website here.

When putting it back together (if there is no sign of leaking) you do up the bolt labelled as "B" on Myles site. It will need some loctite on it and then torqued to 35 Lbft.

Edited by - Roadsport06 on 5 Mar 2012 22:16:19