Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Today ! Partridge green C7

A_redstone

Guilty as charged for the flyer through the door. My parents live in Beckenham and I am always up visiting so it was probably them that saw your car on the front JetSepter.

As for the start of the tread, it was me in the yellow / green SV on a short road test / MOT. Enjoyed the trip out and it sounds like there are a few members in the area so will look out for you all in future. As a side note - the brewery is worth a visit as they have a trade counter... need I say more?

Andy

Oh dear. Not Andy's fault I guess.

I've said it many times before but I believe in most cases changing the starter isn't the answer. Correcting a poor connection causing a large current drop is the most likely solution.

The harder part is identifying the location of the problem. Good Luck Tony.

You need to carry out the mod and put a relay in the system- quite simple to do. I expect someone will be along soon with colour of wires that need to be cut etc. Am away from work now but can post up tomorrow with colours etc.

Regards

Richard

No, it's not the relay. The solenoid operates properly but the starter does not engage. All the connections have been remade, the leads have been tested for resistance and the solenoid dismantled and cleaned. The fault seems to be in the solenoid/motor contact ☹️

I presume this fault has just developed as it never messed me about all the times I started it in the workshop. I have a source of good second hand starter motors which may help you out but I think there is a choice of 2 and I can't remember which type was fitted to your car.

I am out testing at Brands tomorrow (thursday) but will have a look when I get home and give you a ring.

Andy

Edited by - ACJ on 7 Mar 2012 19:05:09

Just realised the choice of 2 is between a bosch (race) and standard Rover so I think yours will be the Rover one - can you confirm its this one here

Edited by - ACJ on 7 Mar 2012 19:17:54

Andy,

Thanks, it is the correct one but keep it on the shelf for now. Whatever I have done has apparently cleared the fault and the car has started fine this morning *smile*

I am now an expert at removing that difficult and almost inaccessible nut from the mounting plate 😬