Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightened flywheel

stevemersey

While I have my engine out, 1800 Zetec, I am thinking of changing the flywheel for a lighter one. I have not removed and weighed the old fly wheel yet, but at a glance it looks original Ford.

The car is for fast road and occasional track days so I am not wanting to go too exotic, so can anyone recommend the best source for a lightened reasonably priced flywheel?

The engine is fitted with mostly Raceline parts so they will be my first option unless anyone can make a better suggestion.

Burton or Raceline?

I'd like to get one for the 7; on the 2CV, I found a later type flywheel which could take a better type of clutch and weighed less than the pre-82 flywheel that I had on my car, and my mechanic shaved a couple of kilos off that making it about 3kg lighter. It made a really noticeable difference - so you could shave the one you already have down. It cost me £50, so much cheaper than a steel flywheel - the weight reductions aren't as great, but if you don't need the lightest it's a good compromise.

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 16 Feb 2012 11:11:39

Mmm. Time for all of the usual warnings about exploding lightened (as opposed to lightweight) flywheels, methinks!

I'm sure a bit of Googling will find some scary examples!

Done right (whichever route you take), a lightened flywheel can make a positive change to your driving experience - I bought the R500 one several years back - and after I got used to the greater precision/speed with which I needed to heel'n'toe, it was great! *thumbup*

Steve,

The key decisions on lightened flywheels for the Zetec are driven by what clutch and starter motor you have, or whether you want to change those too. You already have the lightest of the standard flywheels on the 1800.

Superlight flywheels tend to use a smaller sintered racing clutch and you need to be wary of ring gear position to ensure the starter engagement is not affected.

Both Raceline and Dunnell do cnc machined lighter standard flywheels, as well as billet steel lightweight racing flywheels.

Both are reputable sources for this type of part.

Phil

Myles,

Yes, by lightened, I meant lightweight, made by someone who knows what they are doing, not modified by me or others. Though I am sure I could make a reaonable job of lightening a flywheel I have no ambition to conduct that experiment, as that circular saw lives too close to my legs.

MOCA2CV

Thanks, I will check out Burton power.

it seems too light,

ive just gone down th raceline route to make a blacktop zetec fit & weighed both the blacktop 1800 standard & raceline lightened.

standard :8.6 kgs

raceline:7.4 kgs

just flywheels inc ring gear.both silverto & blacktop flywheels seem identical to measure & look at.

so i dont think its worth it unless you need to,save your bucks *thumbup*