Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drive train upgrade

stevemersey

I am a new owner with a 1991 Series 3 with race line 1800 zetec running on twin 40's and five speed box. I currenty have the engine, gearbox, propshaft and diff out to service and eliminate a vibration at higher speeds in fifth gear reported here

This seems to originate from a worn gearbox output shaft bearing and I suspect some wear in the splines of the prop nose. We have had one cold track day at Oulton Park and apart from the vibes everything felt pretty good save poor grip due to carp tyres.

So I would appreciate a bit of advice on our prioritising the work we intend to do as funds are limited.

I intend to send the gearbox to Road and Race for overhaul.

Q1. Is it worth raising the T9 standard 1st gear ratio if it is only for normal road use and the occasional track day ?

Q2. I want to replace the prop, who is recommended, or should I go to Caterham?

Q3. I fancy putting in some form of restraint to protect in case of prop failure in the future, whilst everything is open. Has anybody got any suggestions on an easy way to do this?

Q4 Finally, are there any other jobs I should be doing while it's all in bits. (I can't afford an LSD at the moment! as I want to buy tyres)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,

You don't say which rear axle you have, deDion or live (Ital or Ford) ?

Also what diff ratio do you have, as this could influence gearbox ratio selections.

Is your T9 a standard standard or a 2.8i standard box, the latter has a taller first gear and is supposed to be stronger.

Raising 1st is worthwhile but be aware that with the Zetec you have a lot more power and torque so consider also uprated bearings.

Have you tried talking to Steve Perks at SP Components. He is based in Redditch so if you are in Merseyside he will be easier to deliver/collect from.

James Whiting sorted out my prop when I did my Zetec conversion. He produced some of the very firxt Zetec conversions and has been playing with 7s for 30+ yrs, so there isn't much he hasn't seen/done/modified.

Phil

• Area Representative

Steve,

I'd stick with the ratios you've got.

If you can't justify the cost of an LSD, then I'd guess that you wouldn't be able to justify the cost of revised ratios either.

Save your money and work out what you really want of the car. It's normally much cheaper to sell your existing car and buy a car that someone has already spent money upgrading to the spec that you'd really like.

Yes, closing the ratios of the five speed, and fitting an LSD are both great upgrades, but neither are cheap!

Well the gearbox has gone off today to be overhauled and the longer 1st gear fitted.

Whilst it is away I will replace the clutch and bearings and get the prop serviced.

As I have the prop shaft and diff out, I get the impression it should be easier to rebuild by putting the engine and gearbox back in first, then reinstalling the prop and diff in last. Or am I mistaken?

I had the same theory but it took ages to do out that way round. I'd now approach it by fitting the diff and prop first followed by the box.

Contact for prop refurb is bailey morris. They're just off the a1m fairly near the black cat roundabout. It's near bedford can't recall the town name right now

I am just about to order a new propshaft and suspect that the old one I have is a little short for the job and could be improved upon. I have about 50mm of gap from the U joint to the gearbox and about 55mm of nose going onto the splines going into the five speed gearbox.

Anybody got any idea of how much deeper the nose could go into the gearbox, or is 55mm enough?

• 1 month later...

All back together. I did a few short test runs last night before checking over and going for a longer blat today, but loving the new 2.75 first gear! Well done to Road and Race.

In the end I had the prop shaft extended by 1 1/2 inches from 18 1/2 between u joints to 20". I used a local firm, A1 props hafts, Liverpool, who were efficient and reasonably priced. This length gives me a lot more nose in the gearbox tail and for £6O lengthened and balanced, I am happy !

Putting it all back together went very smoothly. I put the engine and box in first, then fitted the prop and diff after, and though advised against this, it worked for me. Only time I needed help was at the end to pour the oil in the gearbox while I held the tube in place with some very long nosed pliers.

I have fitted some new suspension bits, bushes, dampers, and an FIA roll bar, while I have been off the road so it is all systems go! Though I am suspicious the new dampers may not last long as they came from ebay and look like they have had a dodgy makeover. But I will give them a go as I am already over budget and need tyres.

So all being well, it's tyres next, and then I am in business!

Edited by - stevemersey on 24 Mar 2012 11:00:11