Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2010 6 speed box

Picon Biere

A quick question for the gearbox gurus. I dont like the round gear knob on my 6 speed box and want to replace it. My question gentlemen is does the gear knob screw on, does it use set screws, is it an interference fit (unlikely but I though I would list it) stuck on or....

Any input would be appreciated as its too cold to go in the garage and start messing around with it.

Todd

Yes, it's a grub screw securing it and then you unscrew the knob. Think it's a 3/8 thread but can't remember if it's UNC or UNF. Early gear levers like mine were Sierra levers with an extension piece to fit the Caterham knob. Later levers are shiny Quaife quickshift items.

......to find 5th instsead of 3rd .

Ho, Ho, Ha, Ha....you funny man you...(sod off *smile*)

I'll have it known, that after getting my gearbox serviced and this new gear knob fitted, that I haven't suffered a single incorrect gear change since...so stuff that in yer pipe matey *smile* (5th instead of 3rd was annoying...1st instead of 3rd was what really upset me!)

Finished your engine yet?

I'm assured it will be ready next week...

Just a word from the wise (well from me anyway) - be careful how large your new knob is (fnarr fnarr) before you commit. Mine was too big (oo ar) and split the leather on the gaiter (it forced the gaiter against the side of the hole (arf arf) and wore through in no time). 😬