Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Dampers / Springs for 2001 SV?

Steve-B

I am about to start our winter refresh on car as I've SORN'd it this winter. Our 11 year old dampers need to be replaced, and I'm stuck looking at the Bilsteins which ones they are. As I'll have the car up on stands for a few weeks, I'm working out a list of jobs before ordering parts (free shipping this month)..

1) Our SV, with a VHPD engine was from Caterham new in 2001, so I *think* it is a Metric chassis, but as it was made by Arch am I correct?

2) Front Dampers I believe I need to order are These -- correct?

3) Rear Dampers I believe I need to order are These -- correct?

4) As I'm doing all corners, should I consider:

* Progressive 30% Uprated rear springs?

* Replacing the rear rubber bushings?

* Replacing Universal Joint?

* Repacking wheel bearings

Look forward to your feedback

On my 2002 SV, I changed the front springs from the standard 150lb to 250lb. They help keep the sump off the ground in high speed dips, and also smooth out bumps nicely. Thanks to Dave Jackson for that top tip several years ago *thumbup* I have standard Bilstein dampers.

Last year I changed to updated front hubs - much nicer than the nasty little bearings and felt seals in the originals.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 14 Jan 2012 09:44:55

Depends entirely on what dampers you have on your car.

I think the stock Bilstein fronts are 1.9" ID but I know the rears [on my car] were 2.25". Caterham supplied Motorsport Bilsteins will probably be 2.25". Most aftermarket monotube dampers advertising a ~40mm dia. piston will be 2.25" - although I've slipped 2.00" on the front of my car. We supply 2.25" as standard with our shocks but Freestyle inboard suspension will require 1.9" ID (and smaller body dampers) if you're not to foul the chassis ... the only sure method is to measure what you currently have.

Much the same story with free length ...