Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A small but irritating problem...

St Eve

The outer collar of my indicator toggle switch constantly vibrates loose, causing the threaded barrel containing the switch to rotate. Sometimes almost to the point where up indicates left, and down is right. Successive tightening up of the collar to the dashboard is only effective for a short time.

Whilst tightening the collar what can I use to fix it in place – one of the Loctite products? Never used Loctite before but clearly I don’t want to fix the collar to the dashboard with a permanent weld. TIA.

Hi Steve, do the nut up resonably tight with pliers then add a 'dob' of nail varnish to thread and nut. Used to use red accard in the aero space business to do the same job, can be picked off if ever there was a problem but keeps nut from vibrating off *thumbup*

Loctite could help, but it makes removal a pest on a relatively delicate component
. Yes, that's what made me cautious, and the reason for my post. Anyway, thanks chaps; just done the pliers thing (again *rolleyes*, but this time with a bit more oomph).

Oh, just seen the nail varnish tip. Thanks, I'll give that a try. What shade? 🥰

Nail varnish duly applied. The lady of the house doesn't use it, so visited the neighbours. No-one in the street has got BRG or yellow (not even Fishnet Lil at No.36 😳), so it's boringly Clear. If that doesn't work it'll be SM25T's Loctite. Thanks again *thumbup*.

Not only nail varnish yesterday, but car up on axle stands and more ACF50 applied underneath, then a wash and a polish (all that the result of a beautiful sunny, but muddy, blat around the Ivinghoe/Ashridge area on Friday). So all ready to go again. But first to return the varnish. Come to think of it, the dear girl might want to come and help me with the road test... 😬

Pardon me for trying to be helpful

Nick – as the originator of this post believe me you ARE being helpful. I have both types of washer so if the varnish cracks then that is what I shall try. And no, it wasn’t obvious to me; I completely overlooked spring washers. Will it work? Well, we won't know until I try. But I am impressed that this piddly little problem has resulted in so much interest. Ta, ever so. *thumbup*