Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dremels

Paul Deslandes

I'm looking at getting a Dremel for general small scale cutting, grinding and polishing and am a bit bemused by the types and kits available. Obviously the higher the voltage of the cordless type the better, but are the cordless as good as the mains driven versions and what accessories are the most useful. I'm not interested in engraving, just general usage as above.

Paul

I have the cordless one and have found it to be the perfect tool for use on an old Caterham. Bolt heads are gone in seconds. The most useful tool i have with mine is an angle drive, which allows better access in some areas. I have a corded version as well, but since i got the cordless i hardly use it.

I'm astonished that a man of your abilities has coped this long without one ... 😬

No experience with the cordless ones but the mains one I have has coped with everything I've thrown at it. The cable is never obstructive.

Cutting discs (reinforced and non reinforced), and the sanding drum have been invaluable. The rest of the acessories seldom get used.

I bought myself a cheap mains "dremel" copy, was not sure what for at the time. I was then rebuilding the engine on a 1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25. I was fitting a new engine block to the car but it was a rough casting. When they were new they were linished smooth so i set to work with the dremel thing and 8 hrs later i had a smooth engine block to a good show standard ready to take a good coat of 2 pack paint, bloddy marvelous

Am I missing something?

I've been restoring, repairing, cleaning cars, bikes, lawn movers, houses, washing machines, etc for yeats and years and never had a dremel or even a "Oh, I wish I had a dremel!" moment in my life.

In fact before I entered the world of Blatchat about 6 years ago, I'd never even heard of the blasted dremel! On BC they crop up regularly in threads to fix all manner of problems I've never really found to be a problem at all. (althoigh I've never yet polished a RR engine block)

Is it some kind of magic wand? Or just the sooooooo must-have upgrade accessory for the garage with a 7 therein? (In either case, maybe I should get one?)

*confused*

Peter

FWIW I use mine weekly for modeling. My original one expired a couple of months ago after 15 years of serious use. Just replaced it with a 300 I think. I've only ever had mains ones. Borrowed a cordless one a while back and was really un-impressed with power and duration so ruled them out when I needed a new one.

• 1 month later...

As an impulse buy, I got a Dremel 300 with the 30 part accessory kit & case for a clearance price of £30 from B&Q in Bletchley yesterday.

Worth looking out for if you are passing a B&Q, not sure if the deal was just store specific.

I have not worked out what I'll need it for, but at that price, it looked like it was worth getting, even if it's only used a couple of times a year.