Click here if you are having website access problems ×

B****y Electronics

Andrew Hooper

Car: ‘06 K series Built1600 converted to1800

Problem: Starting, press key fob, flashing immobiliser light goes out, turn on ignition, press starter, engine starts, but immediately stops and immobiliser light comes on.

Attempted solutions: Switch off, go through same procedure – negative. Re-arming procedure – negative. Jumping up and down with appropriate noises – negative (but feel better) Try using spare key fob – negative.

Solution which works: Disconnect battery – reconnect – go through rearming procedure i.e. press key fob (blank button) repeatedly. Engine starts – hoo-bloody-ray.

Weird bit: Once the car is warmed up, the problem disappears!

Possible way round problem: Fit Battery master switch which will make “Solution which works” easier.

Any Ideas? (realistic ones that is – renewing the entire engine management system is not!) ☹️

Hi Andrew *wavey*,

If it makes you feel any better my car does exactly the same thing. Only solution is disconnecting power and starting again. The only difference is I have an FIA switch so it takes seconds. I have found it helps if you manually arm the car when you stop it instead of letting it arm itself. That said, I have no explanation as to why this should help. I don't think the engine being warmed up should make any difference.

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can explain it to both of us shortly.

Regards,

Giles

I do not profess to know the cause of all the wierd behaviours of the immobiliser.

However, from a conversation with another owner recently, I can endorse Giles's comment that if you manually arm asap after switch off it keeps YOU in control of the function. Allowing it to arm of its own accord can make it "hang up".

Peter

May bit a bit more than this.

I still have this problem which originally manifested after replacing the original starter with a Brise starter. Problem is sidelined now as I can switch the immobiliser function off through the Emerald ECU. I previously tried all sorts such as replacing the battery thinking voltage drop was the problem, it wasn't!

This problem has been discussed several times in the past

here

Mike Molloy was the immobiliser guru, don't know if he is still posting?