Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting a custom dash - how?

Roger Ford

I'm going to get a blank dash (alu, not CF) and create a minimalist layout with my Race Technologies Dash1. Haven't checked the race regs yet, but I may need to use the standard switches rather than neat little toggle switches.

What the best way to cut holes in the dash? Round ones should be easy, but I need a big rectangular one for the Dash1, and small rectangles for the standard switches, if I use them. Do I have to drill-and-file, or is there a better way?

• Leadership Team

Roger, now I've not tried this, but ....... for the rectangular holes I'd mark them out then support the rear with a block of hardwood, and maybe use a sharp wood chisel to punch out the shapes? The ally is pretty thn and soft so may work.

Stu.

• Support Team
On a carbon dash I drilled the corners of the holes and then used a Dremel with a cutting disc to "join the dots". I think this would work for aluminium as well. You do need a steady hand and will probably need to finish with a file.

I installed a clock which required substantial cutting while the dash was installed. After a few strategic holes, I just used small and large files. You will be amazed how fast you can cut through the material with even cheap files. A bit safer to the material than a dremel and maybe cleaner as you remove larger chunks of metal with files (so less dust). The item I installed is below and the cutout is not round! In fact it looks more like a 'mickey mouse' cutout so it had to be perfect so that it looked level.

http://www.drhornsby.com/pics/index.php?cmd=preview&sfpg=Y2F0ZXJoYW0vKmNsb2NrLmpwZyo4MDdmNzFmNjg2Y2Q5Mjk1YTU3MDkzZjhlZjQxMjg2ZA

Interesting clock!

I'd like to add a clock to my dash, but I need a battery-backed one because I don't want it to stop every time I use the FIA switch. Can't seem to find one - even the ridiculously expensive Stack one will stop when you kill the power (and no, I can't wire it direct to the car battery - FIA switch must cut everything).