Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best way to top up the diff?

Alexander Gurr

My final fluid check is the diff, but I am really struggling to see how I get to the filler plug with the de-dion tube in the way. I have one of the new BMW diffs and there is very little clearance between the diff and the de-dion. Is it another pig of a job like the gearbox, or am I best to un-bolt rear dampers and jack the de-dion tube right up out of the way?

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks Ian.....this is going to have to be a job for next weekend as I need to spend some time with the family tomorrow and it is back to work Monday.

I am gutted, as I feel I am only 1 - 2 days off finishing, but rather than rush these last stages I will wait until next weekend to have a look.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex,

When you race, you'll find diff oil coming out of the breather under sustained cornering. The workshop solution is to put a bigger breather pipe with a large circle in the tube, but I had a breather pipe installed with a small catch tank in the boot. Why do I tell you this - because it makes topping up via the breather really easy. If the BMW diff means access is very tight, this would be an additional benefit.

Jez

Quoting Z3MCJez: 
Alex,

When you race, you'll find diff oil coming out of the breather under sustained cornering. The workshop solution is to put a bigger breather pipe with a large circle in the tube, but I had a breather pipe installed with a small catch tank in the boot. Why do I tell you this - because it makes topping up via the breather really easy. If the BMW diff means access is very tight, this would be an additional benefit.

Jez

How does one get the oil at the correct level using this method

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSJQAIUD59sh9XrQCahYeTaiaCa-WF2FyWOjn0j_2EwF1wzMLG

alex, had exactly the same problem, what i did was find a bolt with the right size head to fit in the 14mm allen socket, cut down the thread to a few mm and screw it into a hole drilled in a piece of flat steel bar , i then tack welded it. This gives me a low profile spanner that fits into the diff with the de deon in situ. Afterwards I realised I could have done the same thing with cutting down the bolt, filing some flats on the thread and using a spanner or thin mole grips to hold it.

I filled my diff with the car not level, as a result I think i overfilled it as diff oil leaked out the seals on every drive in alarming quantities, I was suspecting the seals when the leak just stopped, I unscrewed the diff filler plug and the oil was at the right level.

So if you top up using the breather, you still need to unscrew the hex plug to check level.

hope this helps

adam

Quoting ECR: 
I fill from the top now. When you have a known good level, make youself a dipstick enabling you to check the level through the top fill/breather in future

Like this ...

Anyway, once you know the breather isn't losing any diff oil (because it can't) then this isn't something that needs to be regularly checked ...

Jez