Click here if you are having website access problems ×

filling the tank

scorcher

Hello there - my first post as a new owner. Numpty question I expect but please how do you fill the tank up reasonably quickly ? A special way of inserting the nozzle ? Am incurring unwelcome remarks ! 1994 X- Flow with standard fuel tank / cap. Also I've been advised not to " oil " the Weber paper air filters- just brush and remove detritus with gentle air pressure. Correct ?

Scorcher, Welcome to all that is 7esque *wavey* enjoy

re fueling I think this link here and the links from that thread should help answer your first question

re Weber Filters, cant help sorry, but, almost certainly, someone who knows more than me (which is the majority of BC members) will be along soon

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 14 Oct 2011 23:56:55

Replacing the standard 'bus' filler cap with an aero one helps, as you can get better access with the pump...

Even then, you can't use full flow or it will simply spill out.

As for the N&N filters, I wash with either the K&N stuff, or warm soapy water. Then back flush with a hose to was the dead crap out, rather than further into the filter material.

Then oil - but to be honest I rarely do this no was the exposed nature of the filters means the oil bungs-up really quick... I tend to just clean as above more often.

Scorcher,

if you tank has a simple hose going from the filler to the inlet pipe attached to the top of the tank (i.e. extra breather pipes and other devices) then you may have the problem I had (and the previous owner and the previous owner to that too!). The rubber hose was too long and when in position was making an acute angle rather that a gentle radius. Petrol would be blown back or the pump would cut out. Incrementally I removed 25mm until I has happy the hose was the correct length and sitting correctly. When I look in through the filler cap I can now see the lip and inside of the inlet tube to the tank. This means the tip of the filler nozzle can fit the inlet tube to the tank and I can fill normally. *cool* No more very slow filling and seeking out level or downward sloping garage forecourts. *mad*

Good luck. Its an easy fix.

Edited by - Clousta on 16 Oct 2011 17:49:16