Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Tillets

Alexander Gurr

So today I spent all day trying, only partially successfully to get a pair of tillets into the car. The passengers side is now fixed, but the drivers side is only partially there. I have secured and tightened the bolts going through the front of the runners, but for the life of me cant see how I can get any sort of alum key on the bolt going through the runner at the back of the seat. Without being able to hold it in place the nyloc nut just spins the bolt. Is there a trick to this, or do I just remove the nyloc nut from the rear bolts, put a plain nut on and threadlock it in place from underneath 🤔

Stu, I will also need to fit some tillets soon and was wondering how to get the rear fastned, I presume you are saying lock the bolt to the runner with a nut under the runner, does this not dramaticaly increase the stress on the floor, or is it strong enough at that point not to matter, haven,t really had a proper look yet

Its just occured to me if someone made Bolts with a hex head on one end and a Torx/hex skt on the other end it would make jobs like this so much easier

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 13 Oct 2011 23:43:17

Tim, yes, it would increase the load on the thin ali floor to a very small area around the hole. Will soon crack or distort downwards.

Alexander, It sounds as if you are still using the adjustable steel runners? A really good fis for the problem is to braze or weld the bolt into the runner. Makes fitting and removal a doddle. (braze is more reversible if you ever need to replace a bolt, for example if it gets mashed going bumpy bumpy over kerbs etc :-) )

Alternatively, if it is only to fit one driver, use the fixed ali box section runners.

Peter

• Leadership Team

No it doesn't increase the stress on the floor ...... because you still fit an oversize washer between the runner and the floor as previously *thumbup* (If you weren't intending to use an oversize washer below the runner you'll usually find the seat runner doesn't function smoothly). Or use the plastic Tillett spacers.

It's also preferable to fit Tilletts jacked up slightly at the front (mine are 25mm higher front than back) otherwise you'll get a very upright seating position.

Stu.

Thanks guys. I haven't put any washers between the runner and the floor, so looks as though the drivers seat will have to come out again.

Just a thought, but why wouldn't you just use a plain nut on the underside of the floor rather than the nyloc nut? You could threadlock it on, or even put a nyloc nut on afterwards.

Cheers,

Alex

• Area Representative

I use an Allen key socket on a long extension with a socket wrench. If you are gentle, the wrench locks against back panel as you tighten the nut. It might be a good idea to trial fit the nut on the bolt a few times to ease the thread through the nyloc part.

Doing the brazing trick though that Peter suggests is very handy though and makes refitting the tillet in my academy car a doddle and just a few seconds to tighten up

Nick

Here was my cunning plan..........

you need new nuts/bolts (M5 ?...big enough to fit in snugly in lower channel to stop head turning) anyway NOT nylok (they need to easily screw together)...

Place the bolt in the lower channel - so the bolt head sits snugly in the bottom channel

slide the upper channel back over the bolt, place about 2" of old hose pipe into the channel above the bolt, this will hold the bolt tight into the lower channel....

repeat above for all four bolts

Place the seat in the car (its a bit of a pain aligning holes etc)

Once all four bolts are sticking thru' the bottom of the car, spin the nuts up onto the bolts....

The hose pipe can be left in-situ....

worked a treat for me !

Graham

Edited by - GPBox on 14 Oct 2011 17:52:05

I found that if you pulled downwards a bit on the bolt as you tightened it, it stayed in place. It's not a great design. I also opened the holes out a bit to make fitting easier.

However, don't worry about it too much. You'll probably end up with a foam or bag seat if you are more than about 5' 7" (and you may want one anyway, for the additional support in a crash).

Jez

First of all have some larger stainless steel washers made, 40 mm diameter 3 mm thick with an 8.5mm hole in them. Throw the caterham ones away, they are not strong enough to give the floor support. get some new M8 bolts just long enough so to get the nut filly on using the new washers. The originals are too long. Have the bolts tack welded in position with one stitch per bolt (TIG), no more. Paint with a little hammerite smooth and put them in. Put the st/st washer on and tighten the nylocks, job done.

Glad to help you with washers and welding if your in my area?