Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel in europe - will ethanol cause problems?

VictorSeven

Hi chaps,

I'm off on a road trip on Friday, covering around 2,500 miles across europe and someone has brought this to my attention and saying many of the fuel stations in europe now only sell fuel with ethanol in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5795480/British-tourists-warned-over-damaging-French-fuel.html

From the aticle:-

"Ethanol is highly corrosive and wears away the metal fuel tanks common in cars registered before 2000, leading to leaks"

Do I need to avoid at all costs as the Cat has a metal tank?

Has anyone had problems finding that some stations only sell petrol with ethanol in?

Cheers :-)

Here in Germany, it's introduction has been criticised quite heavily, as it was introduced extremely quickly, and the manufacturers didn't have a chance to say whether their engines would be able to run on the stuff. As a result, it has become extremely unpopular, and many petrol stations have pumps selling 95 RON and 98 RON fuel without ethanol. Have a good look before you fill up and you should be okay.

Steve

There was and is a big discussion about E10 in Germany. And it's neither good for the environment nor for your engine. I mean modern engines can cope with the 10% of ethanol but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Regarding E5, this is the most common one to use at least in Germany. Never had problems with it but there's almost no option to avoid it if you want 95 RON. If you want 98 Ron or higher, I'm not sure if they added ethanol there as well...

You might be right with the 5% stuff in 95 RON, roonie. I'll have a look next time I fill up.

There was a message on the Caterham Cars Kemten website stating that the cars should not be run on the ethanol based fuel, but I'm not sure if it stated specifically the 10% stuff. Can't find it on the website any more.

Anyway, to the OP, have a nice time in Europe, and let the fuel problem stop you going.

Steve

Chaps,

Thank you, sounds like its better avoided if possible but there shouldn't be too much of a problem if I have no choice occasionally!

I didn't want to risk and serious damage to fuel system components thats all so thanks for the re-assurance. Interesting about the debate in germany, my folks go there alot and they were the ones that warned me there had been a big press about it.

Looking forward to my first proper road trip in the 7! - Germany - Italy - Austrian Alps - Corsica - French Alps - Swiss Alps - French champagne region then home!

Cheers all

Cheers

Having just got back from what sounds like a similar trip covering about 3500 across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Switzerland there were several places where the only option was a 5% ethanol based fuel. I filled up with it as well as quite a few other tourers (there were 15+ cars on the trip) and haven't had any problems.

I think it's pretty standard in a lot of places, my understanding was that 5% really shouldn't be a problem but the higher percentage fuel such as E85 is an issue.

Just as an aside Tesco Super Unleaded has been 5% ethanol for years, I've used that loads of times without any problems. I'm fairly sure Shell Vpower also has ethanol blended in now.

Cheers

Rob

Germany - Italy - Austrian Alps - Corsica

that's pretty much my local to do list. Especially Italy and Corsica.

Give us a shout if you intend to return up Route Grandes Alpes (RGA) from Menton - I'll join you for the 100% blat from there!

Anthony

p.s. be interested to see your planned route if you have one.

p.p.s I haven't noticed anything odd on my petrol pumps in France, Italy, Switzerland, but I haven't been looking closely, my cars are 2000/2001.

Rob, reading your post

Quoting rgrigsby: 
I filled up with it as well as quite a few other tourers (there were 15+ cars on the trip) and haven't had any problems.

and

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
One spillage seemed to crumble the black plastic housing of the new slimline LED fog light

there wouldn't be a connection with the failure of your filler tube would there? *eek*

Well I'm assured it shouldn't be too much of an issue but I'm def going to avoid the E fuel where possible. I do believe all EU fuel inc UK has a small percentage of ethanol already as people have said, it sounds like the issue is where the mix of ethanol has been raised to higher levels overseas.

P.S got some ear defenders yesterday! Should be quite a trip, will take lots of photos! Off at 5am Friday morning :-)

Quoting anthonym: 
Germany - Italy - Austrian Alps - Corsica

that's pretty much my local to do list. Especially Italy and Corsica.

Give us a shout if you intend to return up Route Grandes Alpes (RGA) from Menton - I'll join you for the 100% blat from there!

p.s. be interested to see your planned route if you have one.

Were heading up the Col de Turini from Nice then staying overnight in Vinadino then the following night in Aosta. I'm not sure if our route uses part of the RGA...I don't have the route map here but we do have it all mapped out and ITN files created so will try and post a snapshot tomorrow so you can see :-)

Edited by - VictorSeven on 14 Sep 2011 21:55:13

Edited by - VictorSeven on 14 Sep 2011 21:58:14