Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What can I do with my carbon fibre when it gets like this?

Shad

Success! I had the Rain-X out from cleaning my visor earlier so thought I'd give it a go, couldn't make it any worse really. Low and behold a bit of gentle rubbing with a soft cloth and the marks have gone! Both half-doors now looking better than ever 😬

• 2 weeks later...

Without doubt the best stuff to use on carbon is " wood silk" furniture polish no joke! its 100percent bees wax no silicon ,you can get it in most supermarkets its in a yellow spray can with a plastic yellow cap that looks like a bee hive *smile*

I started using it years ago by accident my mother was using it on her oak kitchen and thought lets try that on the carbon wings.

I took a can to an International Kart meeting at Buckmore Pk and used it to shine up our Tony Karts, chassis , plastic the lot at the next meeting everyone was using it *smile*

• 2 weeks later...

RAIN-X

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

I thought I would give it a try.

My wings were very milky after being rained on several nights on holiday.

So much so that I had to resort to T-cut. (which I don't like to as it abrades the epoxy away)

I then treated the rhs wings with Rain-X, the lhs with Autoglym super gloss protector. Both looked good on application.

Today as I washed the car using my normal car shampoo, the Rain-X treated wings went milky before my very eyes about 5 secs after wetting.

I had to T-cut again *mad*

The AG SGP did a good job, but not perfect. Just tried s different product to make another comparison. Will report back.

Will also try the Mer bumper treatment.

KEEP THE RAIN-X FOR YOU WINDSCREEN OR VISORS!

P

Interesting...

I've not exposed mine to water and sunshine yet so can't say if the same happens for me or not. However, for me at least it was never about preventing the milky marks but just fixing them if they appear. Isn't the root problem to do with the finish on the carbon having worn? Or not having any lacquer on?

ETA I am going to try the Wood Silk stuff tomorrow hopefully *thumbup* *smile*

Edited by - Shad on 1 Oct 2011 17:38:58

Yes, the root problem is the bare epoxy resin in the wing reacts to both water and UV light.

As it reacts it goes milky. This can be a surface bloom (cleans off relatively easily) or a deeper dullness in the resin. Every time there is a reaction, a microscopic amount of the epoxy is "used up".

On my wings the carbon weave is at the surface in places.

The ideal product to protect it would be water repellant and give some kind of UV barrier.

I have found a product which claims to do both to specifically protect expoxy resins and gel coats. When I have verified its performance I'll report findings on here.

Unfortuately....... No sign of rain at the moment so have to be patient 😬

Peter

Dom

Yes, on my list of things to try on my mobile test bed of tired cf !

Ian M25

The water does not seem to be getting in fron underneath. The only marks I've ever seem directly correspond to water/sunlight from above.

One of the great advantages of the cf wings, not often mentioned, is that they do not have a gel coat so are immune to starcracking, so not sure of the benefit in undersealing.

Ant

The "stuff from Rif" was tried. It may be ok for new Rif cf, but on the CC Tillett cf it could not remove or prevent either of the two types of discolouration. Was also leaving smeary marks when tried to shine up.

Peter

I have been trying to get some large marks off my. CSR fromt wings that were out overnight in the rain a couple of weeks ago. The carbon has gone White where the water had pooled on top of the wings.

I got some stuff at the Kit Car show from one of the guys who make carbon for the 7 but i can't remember his name. It has helped, but the water marking is clearly visible.

As has been noted above, once they are affected by water it seems that every time they get wet it gets worse.

If anyone knows why this happens and how to stop it please shout.

Steve

I believe that when UV hits the epoxy, it breaks up the surface at a microscopic level. This the allows water to "soak" in to the resin.

So UV initiates the problem making the resin more sensitive to water.

Polishing the marks away grinds the surface making it break up further and eventually exposing carbon fibres.

I think to stop the problem, a substance which providea a uv barrier and waterproofing would work.

This must also NOT melt or disolve or grind the epoxy when applied or it is effectively washing it away.

Continuous polishing is not viable or the matrtial will be worn away.

For me, regular application, eg each time car is washed would be ok if it was a simple wipe on product.

Question is..... What??? I'll keep experimenting.

Peter

Thanks peter.

The odd thing is that I was away at the end of August when we had torrential rain. The car was out overnight and only had very slight water marking on the carbon wings.

A month later, I left it out overnight and it rained again. This time there are very noticeable marks on the top - almost like a White liquid had dried on the surface (except it isn't on the surface- it seems to be just under the surface). The marks aren't like the problem I have on my indicator pods which is more like a blooming within the resin than a dried-in residue.

So.. Either the rain in London is chalkier than the rain in Norfolk, or the wax I am using (carnuba) is only offering limited protection that breaks down over time?

Steve