Click here if you are having website access problems ×

adaptive mapping...

jackb_ms

I have tried over the past 2 years and have failed to get a really good map, will still need to go back on the rollers. it is very hard to get to a lot of the load sites when on the road, and I have also had lots of trouble with my LS1 loosing its cvalibration or just being plain wrong

Simon

Thank you for your answers.

The engine has been mapped, the map need to be refined for very low throttle opening, when engine is hot. It has a tendency to kangarooing a bit when those condition are there.

I was thinking the adaptive mapping would be the most cost effective to do it otherwise the car fly and the engine very tracktable

Jack

I've not looked into this properly, but it could be a useful tool to set up a "base" map on a new or heavily fettled existing engine? Especially if you have access to a rolling road and are a totally mapping novice like me. And then you could drive it around and get the map checked over by hand by someone who knows what they are doing. *smile*

It is probably least effective at light throttle. Any instance where the fuel swings lean enough to give a misfire event will fool the o2 sensor into making it go leaner still and if you leave it adaptive and keep appying the corrections it will end up a mess.

For light throttle refinement, fuel overrun cut setting is important. Once that is sorted, manual adjustments to give smooth progression of the fuel and ignition maps are the best way forwards.

On the K3, I find that the lamda control is best left open loop on LS0 line apart from at idle and fast idle points.

I used it to great success for a couple of years. Just make sure that you're only adapting within a reasonable range (eg. after the engine has warmed up, and when you're above idle speed).

Remember that it won't sort out any problems that you have with the spark map.

it is very hard to get to a lot of the load sites when on the road
- then for most of your driving it really won't matter will it? As soon as you get on the track and use those neglected sites, it'll map them.

I think a RR session and open loop control is preferred by most but I've had success with the LC-1 and adaptive control.

I'd be interested to know what range of AFRs others use. I am running at 14:1 at low load through to 13.5:1 mid throttle and 13:1 at full throttle. Better to run open loop at idle and load cells 0.

I find much smoother response at low throttle (no kangaroos!) without selecting 'cut fuel on overrun'.

Steve H