Click here if you are having website access problems ×

has anyone tried this - engine choice

Matt the bass man

I was given the opportunity to buy a 500bhp RST v8 - made of two joined up motorbike engines. Giving nearly 1000bhp per tonne. Not sure how practical but was told the engine builder had 180mph on an airfield and it handled pretty well with a light foot *smile*

Anyone heard about this engine in a caterham - apart from a leviathon[?sp].

Tempting but a bit much on a live axle. My suicidal days are behind be so I think I will decline, but...................then again! 😬

Mines NATASP, the 500 BHP version is supercharged. I've vever driven the supercharged version, but mine is a real hoot, and very easy to drive, being very tractable, and also having avery wide power band, at least 4,000 RPM.

The later V6 is a much less complicated animal, with oil scavenge and pressure pump gear driven inside the sump, altenator at the rear, oil filter canister screws onto block, loads less internal parts, 4 valves per cylinder rather than 5, 120 Deg V so lower C of G, lighter, cheaper, smaller etc. I could go on, but suffice it to say I would have chosen the V6 had it been around at the time, in 2005.

Having said that The V8 has been a fantastic engine, and no real problems so far, so I'm happy with my lot.

If the price is right you would not be dissapointed.

Matt, if you need the benefit of my experience please blat mail me with your contact details and I can help you a lot here.

To be truthful I was enquiring after the non supercharged version, of which they had none, but they did have 3 supercharged versions in stock ready to go. And when I say ready to go, the origional price I was told was £42,000 *eek* for each unit and then between £5 - 10,000 for the ancillaries.

But the guy I spoke to said if I made him an offer of around £22,000 it would be a done deal. I got the impression they wanted rid of them as they were haning around from a project that didn't go through.

To much power for me but I expect someone here would have bigger cahonjes than me and be interested so I thought I would post about them.