Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drifting in a BEC

Ivaan

I don't have a BEC, but plenty of years ownership of bikes and Blackbirds, I don't think I woudl like to put a BECthrough so much stress, the clutch is quite small and witht he added weiht and traction of the Caterham I think you will need a new set of plates afterwards (at least they easy to change, but you will also need oil and filter)

*confused*

It would only be the clutch I'd be worried about - having done a number of autotests in sevens over the years (with loads of handbrake turns, donuts etc. on exactly the same ditchfinder rear tyres inflated to 50psi or whatever...

I would try it, you won't need to pop the clutch as much as you think, especially on the bigger/faster drift course.

The straight line course could be worse, especially if you slip it a lot on the launch and, well, a whole lot more boring than drifting!

only one way to find out!

If its a Busa no need to use the clutch to start it drifting, just turn in & hit the gas, can't stop mine going sideways even on the stickiest Kumho's 😬

Busa clutch's are very strong as long as you dump them in a rapid fashion rather than try to slip them whilst using high revs. *thumbup*

I would have thought it's suitable, provided you initiate the slide with a reverse flick and a bootfull of throttle. In that case the clutch is stationary and will last indefinitely. If OTOH you are obliged to use the clutch to initiate the slide with some wheelspin, then it may not be long for tyhis world.

Thanks for all the pointers.

... as Jake says there's only one way to really find out.

The Ital axle has been upgraded ( LSD ) and strenghtened to take the power ( about 170bhp )

The clutch gets plenty of stick on the road, and I can easily intiate a slide on roundabouts / junctions, so I guess drifting will be no worse, though I don't continually try to get the rear hanging out. No issues after 6,000 mile, but as I have no trailer, the car would have to be drivable to get home.

I'm still getting used to the car, and a drift or handling day is required to learn more. I'm sure I'll get some more opinions at Llandow.